Advice on a roadside job please

mikecotterill

I've been asked to quote some work on some conifers, there in a front garden which is about 10' above street level. The thing is the road outside is a busy road that leads into the town centre about half a mile away, it's two lanes wide and it's just after quite a busy set of lights. I'm thinking of parking half on the pavement half on road and put some signs cones out etc. to try and make it look half organised :)

What do people think? I'm worried about getting ticketed or police troubles. There's no where else to park in reasonable dragging distance and there's double yellows too. Any advice as always much appreciated.

I've been asked to quote some work on some conifers, there in a front garden which is about 10' above street level. The thing is the road outside is a busy road that leads into the town centre about half a mile away, it's two lanes wide and it's just after quite a busy set of lights. I'm thinking of parking half on the pavement half on road and put some signs cones out etc. to try and make it look half organised :)

What do people think? I'm worried about getting ticketed or police troubles. There's no where else to park in reasonable dragging distance and there's double yellows too. Any advice as always much appreciated.

you took words right out my mouth... thats exactly what i'd do... if police stop just plead ignorance...

I was setting up on a job the other day and did what you suggested (Sighns cone , park half on half off pavement ). Unfortunatly i got a £120 parking ticket for not only obstructing the road but also blocking pedestrian access . I tried to appeal this by saying it was the only place to park that was close to the job as the property had no off street parking . They shot me down and told me to pay saying that i should have parked in the designated space 100yd down the road !!!.

YOu could risk it and try and get the job done as quickly or possible or you could try a sunday or a quite time of day . There is the expensive cost of traffic managment .

I'd go with the making it look half organised idea but maybe try and get an early start on a sunday to minimise the disruption caused.

If you try it during the week and start causing 8 mile tailbacks you might get ticketed or moved on.

Other option would be to pay for proper traffic management set up. But if you do that there's a good chance someone else will undercut you and do it the half organised way.

Good luck with it!

Apply to the local authority for a "special dispensation permit" to avoid getting a ticket.

In my neck of the woods they are £45 and run for up to a week. (you need to prove that you HAVE to park there for the work to be done safely)

Another cost you can do without, but you can give the traffic wardens the two fingered salute!

I know this may sound kind of left field but why not contact the police and inform them of your intentions. If it is not a good plan i'm sure they'll let you know and then you can rethink. I just think it would be easier to try to sort the issue before it arises. If they do agree to your plan (over the phone) just ask them to pop it in the post or e-mail it to you just to cover your back as if you do get asked what you're doing and your only defence is i phoned your lot up and they said it's ok, isn't going to carry much weight!! Good luck with it whatever your decision.

Cheers for the replies, I'd rather not bother if I had to get tm in on it.

It would be a sun morning job. I'll look up the permits as mentioned above.

It's only the chipping that is going to be a problem, I can sort the tree out without needing to park there. So for a couple of hours at most I'll be parked there, but knowing my luck....