L200 Warrior: Good Commercial vehicle or not???

monkeypuzzle22

I have a 55 plate warrior. I tow a IW trailer tt105 and tend to load it to the max with chip. I have the mesh sides so can really pack a lot on. I find it a great truck to row with and brilliant off road. The only bad points are mpg and the lack of leg room

For passengers in the back, not that I have many because its always full of my chainsaw gear.

I'm pleased to own one but there is always someone who says their truck is better

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the very useful comments, excellent...I have a 200 Tdi Land Rover Defender at the minute and it has just cost me a fortune. I am a subbie and use varying types of roads on a day to day basis. I love the Landy but i can't afford to keep replacing parts at £500-1000 at a time.

I like the Warrior but have heard of the gear box and 4 x 4 problems, although most on here seem to think they are a decent work vehicle!!! MPG i am not concerned about, i run a defender so...the only concerns i now have from all your comments is the towing guts????

Oh and Nick, get the 5k L200 on here, i am also interested???

Thanks everyone

Callum

At the end of the day, there is always going to be people that say 'don't touch one of those, problems with 4X4 and gearbox', it's the same as with every single motor on the road, ask someone about Toyota Hilux and they will say 'dont buy one of those, problems with.......' people will experience problems with any motor on the road, else there would be a lot mechanics on the dole. My 57 plate, had it since new, only problems i've had is the mrs running into things, as someone mentioned, you dont buy a 4x4 for great fuel economy.

With regards to towing ability, i live in South Wales, so there is a few hills around here, i get up each and every one, some faster than others, towing ability is down to the driver in my opinion, gettin the gears right at the right time i suppose.

soon as he's found a replacement for warrior i'll message u with details.. its in black.. no tow bar.. and comin up 40k miles.. its obviously old shape being an 05.. he still wants 5 grand for it when he sells it but there will be VAT on top.. although he'd prob take some in cash to keep VAT down if your not registered...

You are seriously considering DOWN grading to an L200????????

I have had landrovers for years, this 300tdi for 9 years, and also a couple of hi-luxes. You will fing the l200 like a toy after a defender....and how have you managed to keep on buying 500-100 pound parts:001_huh:...there just arent that many on a defender. Even a transfer box is only about £300?? (as opposed to about £1700 for a nissan I am told, so i assume similar for mitsi). Landies are the cheapest on parts out of all the 4x4s i think (maybe not ranger):confused1:

At the end of the day, there is always going to be people that say 'don't touch one of those, problems with 4X4 and gearbox', it's the same as with every single motor on the road, ask someone about Toyota Hilux and they will say 'dont buy one of those, problems with.......' people will experience problems with any motor on the road, else there would be a lot mechanics on the dole. My 57 plate, had it since new, only problems i've had is the mrs running into things, as someone mentioned, you dont buy a 4x4 for great fuel economy.

With regards to towing ability, i live in South Wales, so there is a few hills around here, i get up each and every one, some faster than others, towing ability is down to the driver in my opinion, gettin the gears right at the right time i suppose.

Good post.:thumbup1:

If you have a defender with a 200 in it must be wrong side of 16 years old. You have probably cured most of its problems for a year or two. All the later pick ups can give expensive problems some are lucky some are not. When paying good money for a truck i would prefer not to take the chance. To a large extent you know where you are with a defender no expensive parts or nasty suprises but if you dont do your own repairs bills can mount up.

I had an old shape L200 which was an import so higher spec but fab, reliable work horse which pulled an artic out of a muddy field with no probs. Now got L200 Animal on 56 plate. Good reliable truck and very pretty. Not so robust as old L200 as a lot is now plastic but with the right tyres, great truck but you need BF Goodrich all terrain tyres to get the best out of it. Little light on back end but 4wd great as you can select doing 60mph. Low road tax due to eco engine £125 per year, £600 full comp ins and much more economical than old style. Recommend it.

i had an R reg L200 when they first came out.. that was an import.. all the toys on it as standard.. put hilux's etc to shame at time.. i ran it to 100k miles then sold it to my mate who only sold it lasy year with 180k on clock.. usual starter motor alternator prolems but that was it.. and i just put set goodrich mud terrains on my 90... if u get stuck with them on your proper stuck..