titan pro 30t log splitter

BARNSLEY BOB

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you seen the THOR log splitters?

they have a foot pedal which will bring the blade down to hold the log and you then split through by using the 2 handles.

Thor is what I have. But the PTO vertical one, I bought it from Chris Shep a while ago and am chuffed to bits with it. That's the only problem I've found with vertical splitters is if the log isn't cut quite square, you have to hold it up with your knee. Picture in link below

attachment.php?attachmentid=2588&stc=1&d=1205005458

I am yet to find ANY documented rules from HSE regarding two handed use of splitters. I spent an hour on the phone with them, met them down at Stoneliegh, and nobody could give me any documented details on it.

done some research but for a copy will cost £80...

you want british standards BS EN 609-1 1999 ISBN 0580 327 558 Agricultural and forestry machinery. Safety of log splitters. Wedge splitters

Apparently it does state two hand controlled use. so i am told

Depends in what context two handed working means. Does it mean that the machine has to have a control that is operated in such a way that you have to operate the controls using two hands or something else. Unless you see the whole document you never know. Depends also on wording like should, must etc

Depends in what context two handed working means. Does it mean that the machine has to have a control that is operated in such a way that you have to operate the controls using two hands or something else. Unless you see the whole document you never know. Depends also on wording like should, must etc

cant quote it but i would assume it means both hands have to be placed on levers to make the machine operate and both levers should be placed to prevent single handed operation.

as for the hse, unles you find some one "in the know" who can understand what you mean, then the others cant really help ( in my experience).

I would have thought that a dead-man interlock in addition to the primary controller would be all that is needed so the machine will not work by accidental/unintentional movement of the primary control,

so wouldn’t an enclosed foot-peddle dead-man interlock would be ok?

well that is why they have 2 handles, take one off and it stops.

the foot pedal on the thors bring the blade down to the wood but has no pressure to split

if the foot pedal can allow the wood to be split then hands could still get caught under the splitting wedge

That's the only problem I've found with vertical splitters is if the log isn't cut quite square, you have to hold it up with your knee.

Do you mean a bit like this Dean? Before anyone says it - I wasn't trying to hump it :blushing:

We had 2 horizontal splitters where I worked last, they were ok on smallish stuff but a right pain in the ass on anything that needed splitting more than 4 ways.

I'd go vertical every time, and pto powered. That Thor I had was a monster - fast and powerful. Before we bought the processor we used to use it for billeting up lengths for the sawbench. in the end we used to just use it with the table on it for busting up big discs.

597653686f04e_Picture197s.JPG.7ed9d7bf8dd46f44a16e7c33c33ff2a8.JPG