Your throw weight? or Access system?

Is Toxic Lead throw wts a health concern?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is Toxic Lead throw wts a health concern?

The guy who started this thread came up with the metal thing and is trying to push it :001_rolleyes:

Doh!!!. But i gave my honest opinion maybe he should of said guys i've made a product it doesn't have any low health risk (lead) other than its made of metal. . What do you think? 1st five people to pm will get a free one to test and give feed back.

Thats how i'd do it but then again im still yet to invent a product.

Edited by Ian Flatters

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't take much the ppm i am not sure of and will get you the info.

Lead and lead compounds can be highly toxic when eaten or inhaled. Although lead is absorbed very slowly into the body, its rate of excretion is even slower. Thus, with constant exposure, lead accumulates gradually in the body. It is absorbed by the red blood cells and circulated through the body where it becomes concentrated in soft tissues, especially the liver and kidneys. Lead can cause lesions in the central nervous system and apparently can damage the cells making up the blood-brain barrier that protects the brain from many harmful chemicals.

I do a fair amount of work in Hamilton. It is has two steel plants and curse the dry summer months when I blow my nose and see the black snot.

How many bags are lost and spilled in the environment. Birds use these pellets in their guts to digest. It is well documented the affects of lead shot in birds of pry. Remember the Bald and Golden Eagle and the almost extinction of the Condor with its thin brittle eggs.

West coast north america sell bags with steel or brass. Their bags break open more there because the Palms knife them open.

Lead is the cheapest, most impact dmapening and heaviest metal by volume wt. Its your choice to throw what ever you want I am sharing the info.

Lead by association is bad and that can get personal but in no way am I slagging or making a pesonal attack at any one or business.

LOL mate nobody is shooting the messenger! I know very well the effects of lead poisoning. The point is how much lead do you need to ingest to suffer the effects of lead poisoning?

My thoughts would be a lot. As Arbs we are unlikely to be taking in huge amounts of lead. Even with a throwbag used everyday. I would be more concerned about climbing plane trees in summer everyday without a face mask..

I found this in Wikipedia Lead Poisoning. For what its worth and with out blood tests. Reference values

The current reference range for acceptable blood lead concentrations in healthy persons without excessive exposure to environmental sources of lead is less than 10 µg/dL for children and less than 25 µg/dL for adults.[109] The current biological exposure index (a level that should not be exceeded) for lead-exposed workers in the U.S. is 30 µg/dL in a random blood specimen. Blood lead concentrations in poisoning victims have ranged from 30->80 µg/dL in children exposed to lead paint in older houses, 77–104 µg/dL in persons working with pottery glazes, 90–137 µg/dL in individuals consuming contaminated herbal medicines, 109–139 µg/dL in indoor shooting range instructors and as high as 330 µg/dL in those drinking fruit juices from glazed earthenware containers.[110]

[edit] Prevention

LOL mate nobody is shooting the messenger! I know very well the effects of lead poisoning. The point is how much lead do you need to ingest to suffer the effects of lead poisoning?

My thoughts would be a lot. As Arbs we are unlikely to be taking in huge amounts of lead. Even with a throwbag used everyday. I would be more concerned about climbing plane trees in summer everyday without a face mask..

Here is the original Thread. Please can we forget or not include anything that is not related to the thread.:001_smile:

Material

Weight Component

Toxic Lead:thumbdown:

Steel

Rubber

Brand

Weight

What do you do with your spent bags? Recycle lead, dispose etc.

What would you do to make it better, more useful etc? Is the toxic Lead found in most throw bags a concern?

How long are they lasting?

Any body been hurt or what kind of damage have you seen?

Do you even throw? What tree access system do you prefer?

How much Lead can one expect to be exposed to from using a Throw Bag?

How much Lead is released by a Throw Bag?

How long does it take for a Throw Bag to begin to release Lead?

How many times do we handle a Throw Bag?

Do we manage to keep a Throw Bag long enough for it to begin to release Lead

All this questions need to be answered before your concerns regarding Lead exposure from Throw Bags can be seriously considered.

Thank you I appreciate the questions.

I do not have all anwers. No one does thus the thread and Poll Lead throw Weights, YES, NO, Not an issue, I DID not know.

That is the intent of this thread to share and gather info.

My 1st hand discussions with arborists and what I have personally witnessed is some are being exposed to excessive amounts of Lead in Germany, UK, Canada and US.

How much Lead can one expect to be exposed to from using a Throw Bag?

How much Lead is released by a Throw Bag?

How long does it take for a Throw Bag to begin to release Lead?

How many times do we handle a Throw Bag?

Do we manage to keep a Throw Bag long enough for it to begin to release Lead

All this questions need to be answered before your concerns regarding Lead exposure from Throw Bags can be seriously considered.

Material

Weight Component

Toxic Lead:thumbup1:

Steel

Rubber

Brand

Weight

What do you do with your spent bags? Recycle lead, dispose etc.

What would you do to make it better, more useful etc? Is the toxic Lead found in most throw bags a concern?

How long are they lasting?

Any body been hurt or what kind of damage have you seen?

Do you even throw? What tree access system do you prefer?

ok,

Material - Canvis

Weight - 12oz

Lead - Plastic coated sealed withing a hard rubber within a canvis bag

Steel - Only the thrown ring attachment

Rubber - Maybe if i get lucky, normal size and ribbed for her pleasure

Brand - Harrison Rocket

Spent bags - Bin probably end up in landfill

better more usefull - nothing it does exactly what it need too.

lead in most - NO some have other compounds.

lasting - HR no 5yrs used most days, buckingham one 3yrs going strong

Damage - only pride when i can't get the limb i want to.

Do you throw - duh yes as i prob wouldn't be able to answer these questions

preferred access - mewp.

Now answer my questions

Have you invented a product?

Does it come in different weights?

Whats it made of?

How long does it last?

Damage caused?

Spent treepedos go?

Are they popular?

Whats the cost?

Are they safer than a throw bag (as they have canvis on the outside)

I look forward to your reply.