cost price/load

Billy

that is right, and yes its not a good fair deal imo. trouble is i know i could get a better deal by lieing like others have (one guy had him believe a whole transit load was 1 cubic meter and said he would buy this for £20) but i'm not game for that so i think best i can do him is a 20-80 or 30-70 my way to make things worth doing?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not loads, around twenty possibly a bit more. if i tried to broker that deal i could see the middle man getting cut out :/. Ideally I want to try and negotiate to process and sell myself effectivley as it will pay more, I'm just tyring to use you guys to figure out what would be a reaosnable proposition as i've only sold my own firewood before so this is quite new.

sounds like a weird deal to me - and we deal in almost solely chestnut :sneaky2:

you either buy it at cord at volume at a set rate (be it seasoned or not) - or buy it by weight - at a set rate per ton

no way should you agree to take it - process it - then split the divvy (unless you can't afford to buy the wood in the first place) - or you have been trying to do a deal with my dad :lol:

just because chestnut has been cut a while - don't mean it will be seasoned properly, to burn well enough for joe public (they need to have a bit of a clue about wood that they burn - and most don't unfortunately)

chestnut has a decent value - outside of firewood - so you might want to speculate that way - if you can use a hammer and wedges to split it into post 'n rail etc

i would not dismiss doing a deal with the guy - but you need to have a good look at the timber - and see if it would be better sold as something other than logs

for regular posts - either split or in the round - you want about 7 ft length (although 5ft 6 to 6 ft will be fine)

for rails - the better money comes from them about 8ft - 10 ft long - clean split

if all the wood has been cut up short - and stacked - it ain't going to be much good and will be a buggar to split if it's been down for a few years - so i doubt you could even get palings or hand cut boards or shingles out of them

so with all that to consider - i would say that the bloke is trying to take the mick - and i would leave it be - unless you are really desperate for wood

by the way - we don't process as many logs as the majority of guys on here - but we don't need a splitter or any other fancy machines to process our wood - we do it all by hand (and chainsaw) as chestnut splits like butter with the right splitting axe :thumbup1:

sounds like a weird deal to me - and we deal in almost solely chestnut :sneaky2:

you either buy it at cord at volume at a set rate (be it seasoned or not) - or buy it by weight - at a set rate per ton

no way should you agree to take it - process it - then split the divvy (unless you can't afford to buy the wood in the first place) - or you have been trying to do a deal with my dad :lol:

just because chestnut has been cut a while - don't mean it will be seasoned properly, to burn well enough for joe public (they need to have a bit of a clue about wood that they burn - and most don't unfortunately)

chestnut has a decent value - outside of firewood - so you might want to speculate that way - if you can use a hammer and wedges to split it into post 'n rail etc

i would not dismiss doing a deal with the guy - but you need to have a good look at the timber - and see if it would be better sold as something other than logs

for regular posts - either split or in the round - you want about 7 ft length (although 5ft 6 to 6 ft will be fine)

for rails - the better money comes from them about 8ft - 10 ft long - clean split

if all the wood has been cut up short - and stacked - it ain't going to be much good and will be a buggar to split if it's been down for a few years - so i doubt you could even get palings or hand cut boards or shingles out of them

so with all that to consider - i would say that the bloke is trying to take the mick - and i would leave it be - unless you are really desperate for wood

by the way - we don't process as many logs as the majority of guys on here - but we don't need a splitter or any other fancy machines to process our wood - we do it all by hand (and chainsaw) as chestnut splits like butter with the right splitting axe

Interesting post alot of it is in long lengths, up to about 20ft. I didn't really consider manufacturing fencing componnents from it, what sort of money do posts and rails go for compared to firewood, does the splitting of long lengths take much longer or require particular precision...is it difficult?:001_tongue:or just a case of it splits right or it splits wrong n becomes firewood?

This Threads deffinatley had the desired effect thought some pretty major negotion needs to be done before we go any further, and i have a few more possibilites for uses :001_smile:

im no expert, but i work on giving 20% of what i think i can sell it at. Even paying 20% will not make you rich, and reckon with all the labour that leaves me on £10-£15 an hour depending if the wood goes to garden centers etc or i sell direct. I tried a 50-50 split with a farmer 2 years ago and I made nothing! Will not have chnged only get worse with increasing overheads chain oil etc etc.....