Deer versus Chestnut

I think coppice is nearly always best cut low. The regrowth will be better&straighter and the stool&root-system will get larger (particularly with hazel). It'd need cutting on a short rotation if coppiced/pollarded higher up as the branch union will be weak and felling chestnut post&rail or firewood size poles at above chest height would be less than ideal!

i agree:001_smile:

also just think what 3 acres of 3foot high stumps is going to look like:thumbdown:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been coppicing mainly chestnut for around 20 years and the stumps definatly need cutting low and will get even straighter regrowth if the stump is shaped right if you cut the stumps high to try limit grazing damage the shots that grow will get to a size where they will break out as the union will be weak as rob pointed out. As for putting brash on the stumps to protect the regrowth the shoot will grow up through it that bent they wont be any good for anything apart from logs or charcoal The 3 most effective ways to control grazing damage from deer would be either dead hedging deer control program or fencing off the area they sure can do a lot of damage in a very short time

When I worked for the council they used to dead hedge the hazel coupes but would end up using almost all the materials gained from coppicing to make the dead hedge and it would take days to make.

The acre coope took 2 1/2 days to do with 2 men. All we used was the brash that would have been burnt, and that normally takes a couple of days to do. The dead hedge does not have to be tightly laid and it does not matter if there are small holes. So long as the gaps are too small for the deer to fit through you are fine.

we have done a fair bit of felling on our little copse over the last few years - and we don't use anything for protection

we do have proper deer fencing along on side of the copse (roadside) but the remainder of the copse is easily jumped by the deer - so they do get in in out quite easily

tbh - we haven't had much deer damage to the chestnut - nor from the rabbits - biggest problem with the rabbits is trying not to break your leg or neck by going into one of the many holes

the new poles have grown well over the last five years or so - and they are straight enough for the yurt maker to come and harvest :thumbup1:

deer fencing is not the expensive when you look at it over the whole life span, will last a good 15 years with small amounts of regular maintance, all the other solution are very short term in comparison. My buisness is wildlife fencing (rabbit,stock,deer) for large organisaitions bot goverment and private (charity) we have looked at all solutions and nothing has come close in value for money and fit ofr purpose.

The plastic fencing is a poor solution due to as mention previously deer and others eating it and gettng tangled in it resulting in injured animals.

tom

German company Kieferle is producing chemicals to deter wildlife, wildly used in Poland to protect farmland against deers and wild boars. It is really good. I know that more than two similar companies doing this stuff in Poland also, try reserch this, I think it's better/cheaper than fencing option.