ULW's of 3.5ton trucks?

18 stoner

Ive even looked into that Johnny.

My problem is my yard is 40 mins drive from my house and i dont usually go there every day so would be a bind to collect the truck in a morning and take it back.

80% of my work is nearer to my house than my yard too, so the travelling issues would kill it for me thats without the hassles involved with the extra servicing and paperwork associated with O license.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive even looked into that Johnny.

My problem is my yard is 40 mins drive from my house and i dont usually go there every day so would be a bind to collect the truck in a morning and take it back.

80% of my work is nearer to my house than my yard too, so the travelling issues would kill it for me thats without the hassles involved with the extra servicing and paperwork associated with O license.

mount a chipper on the bk of a 3,5t with tool caninet ,then chip in to a 3.5t trailer thats towed behind ,or have we been ther on another tread :laugh1:

I have a transit that weights about 2.6 with driver still over weight all the time thought .

The company i used to work for had a canter 3.5ton which was rumoured to have the biggest payload in its class , one of the other guys may be able to confirm this .

I have also heard really good things about the 3 litre iveco daily .

Lets face it, 3.5 tonners are rubbish for tree work.

How about a LR 130 singlecab with a beavertail body, ramps, and a winch behind the cab, and a 3.5 tonne tipping trailer with chipbox. Winch the chipper onto the back of the truck, hitch up the trailer and off you go! At least 2 tonnes of legal chip capacity, and you could winch big logs onto the back of the landy as well!

Sorted.

Nice one BillyJohn, cheers for that. Currently running an LDV but under powered to tow my chipper really.

Looking for something like 125hp, will build my own chip box. Starting to look more like a tranny, but need to decide double cab or single and build a tool box.

Sounds like the trannys have a few issues with clutches and starters too though so still undecided.

i would not be bothered too much about the clutch/starter problem they are an easy remedy now, if the cluch goes you replace the duel mass flywheel with a solid flywheel and clutch kit, sorted (£300) starters usually go as the cluch is on its way out starter (£75) so quite cheap to fix.

My crew cab smiley tranny is 2600 with kit and driver but i will be replacing soon with another transit, ive had cabstars in the past but the space was alway the problem.

Good thread man :thumbup1: