ULW's of 3.5ton trucks?

18 stoner

Thats my problem Rupe, if i got to a decent tree job, there will be 2 or 3 of us in the cab(possibly dogg too), the toolbox will be full, signs and ladders in the back, towing almost 2tons of chipper. Somehow i doubt all this could be done with a cabstar:confused1:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats where I may have a problem, my LDV single cab with chip box, and integrated toolbox is 2240kgs all empty.

There aint many frills on it but its still very light, as is Rupe's and his has much more gizmos on it.

So how much lighter are the tranny single cabs, anyone know?

sorry cant paste the link but just looked at Ford UK - The Official Homepage of Ford UK

all weights and spec there:001_smile:

ive got a cabstar and to be honest i struggle with kit everything on the back and or the hopper with a lock on it. not ideal at all but would lose to much room putting a tool box on.

im thinking about getting rid of mine but stuck with what to get next as storage is a must on next truck will probably end up with a transit or canter with under body storage

thanks simon

Thats my problem Rupe, if i got to a decent tree job, there will be 2 or 3 of us in the cab(possibly dogg too), the toolbox will be full, signs and ladders in the back, towing almost 2tons of chipper. Somehow i doubt all this could be done with a cabstar:confused1:

It cant be done. I worked for a company years ago with a cabstar (brand new at R reg, to give you a timescale) and I loved driving it on my own to go pick up some logs we had left somewhere, and the dog could lie on the passenger seat with his head on my lap! Happy days, but no way you could take 2-3 plus lunch, plus kit!! (in those days we had no roadsigns etc!!)

My LDV has ladder on top, then full chapter 8 signs (and some extras) inc. cones in the roof box, then spare fuels & oils plus all tea making facilities+first aid+bits and bobs permanently left in one side of the tool locker and then kit+saws go in the other side but are removed at night.

That way we rarely leave anything behind. In 18 years, I am about as organised as I can be!!

It would be overloaded if full to the brim with chip, but know what we are doing!!

I have done it with a cabstar, 55 reg 3.0 litre model, 3 up in the cab plus collie, towing a 6" tracked jensen on a plant trailer.

There is a certain technique to getting the collie in, the middle passenger gets in first, then the second passenger gets in but leaves his/her left leg dangling out of the door, while the driver wedges the collie in between the passengers legs, head facing into crotch, then the passenger crushes collie between their legs while the driver slams the door shut. The collie felt somewhat violated I believe, I cant say I recommend the experience.

My 2000 W reg smiley face transit crewcab with ply chipbox weighed 2600kg with driver, large labrador, and lots of gear in the back, if thats any help.

hi all

We used to run a cabstar dropside (non tipper) that was a chore.In fact we had 3 in total

but ultra reliable.Strange but alternators went on all.Went to tranny tipper lwb after that but always a problem where to put gear on single cabs.now got a LDV crew cab tipper but usually weight of chip rarely is more than a ton or just over.Still it usually does a days work when on pruning jobs,But by lad we dont half chuck rubbish in back of cab.

Take care up there

Billyjohn

Nice one BillyJohn, cheers for that. Currently running an LDV but under powered to tow my chipper really.

Looking for something like 125hp, will build my own chip box. Starting to look more like a tranny, but need to decide double cab or single and build a tool box.

Sounds like the trannys have a few issues with clutches and starters too though so still undecided.

Nice one BillyJohn, cheers for that. Currently running an LDV but under powered to tow my chipper really.

Looking for something like 125hp, will build my own chip box. Starting to look more like a tranny, but need to decide double cab or single and build a tool box.

Sounds like the trannys have a few issues with clutches and starters too though so still undecided.

daily 50c14 ,need an o liesence tho