Vehicle Image

Billy

I used to have a olkd beat up ldv. Was cheap to run, insure and i was able to find spare parts cheap for it..they only prob was that i was wanting my business to grow and i could not charge 500 a day for 2 man crew and turn up with old ldv. So my day profit was lower and i was working long hrs to make 250 a day.

I decided to buy new truck and new chipper...now when i turn up to do jobs that i i have quoted high the costumer does not feel ripped off. They understand where to money goes and as long as the tree work is done well they are happy. I feel buying new truck / chipper was worth the risk.

They only prob now is having higher Insurance, fuel is much higher and part are much more expensive.

It all depends on what your goals are in business.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a olkd beat up ldv. Was cheap to run, insure and i was able to find spare parts cheap for it..they only prob was that i was wanting my business to grow and i could not charge 500 a day for 2 man crew and turn up with old ldv. So my day profit was lower and i was working long hrs to make 250 a day.

I decided to buy new truck and new chipper...now when i turn up to do jobs that i i have quoted high the costumer does not feel ripped off. They understand where to money goes and as long as the tree work is done well they are happy. I feel buying new truck / chipper was worth the risk.

They only prob now is having higher Insurance, fuel is much higher and part are much more expensive.

It all depends on what your goals are in business.

Having brand new kit/vehicles should make your company run smoother with less breakages and such. It shouldnt be a justification for expense. Have you ever turned up to a job you quoted £550 for and had the customer turn round and say " i feel ripped off, when i recieved your quote I was expecting you to turn up in a brand new truck wearing a Gucci watch":lol:

Having brand new kit/vehicles should make your company run smoother with less breakages and such. It shouldnt be a justification for expense. Have you ever turned up to a job you quoted £550 for and had the customer turn round and say " i feel ripped off, when i recieved your quote I was expecting you to turn up in a brand new truck wearing a Gucci watch":lol:

Agree.

Since you have already quoted and had the job accepted,what bearing does the kit have?

I don't think Customers know what to expect Vehicle wise.I mean,how many times are we still offered the use of the Clients Ladders or Extension Cords?

Agree.

Since you have already quoted and had the job accepted,what bearing does the kit have?

I don't think Customers know what to expect Vehicle wise.I mean,how many times are we still offered the use of the Clients Ladders or Extension Cords?

Yep, all the time :001_rolleyes:

Lets face it you could have 8 old LDV and chippers on the road, a full office manned 24hours a day. Full time workshop staff maintaining your kit, 26 members of staff etc etc.

The customer doesnt know that. He wants to know how much it will be and when you can do it. Dressing smart and uniformly helps, as does a well presented vehicle. Wether it is a 1992 sherpa or a 2010 Iveco has nothing to do with justification of costs.

i have been through this I always what to look my best in every part of my bussiness.

I turn up on time clean and tidy and in a clean van. so the client has the idea that you are a good company. Yes we have to talk the talk and they have to like you and your prices.

Vans / Lorries is a major part of this. Over the past 26 years I would not be able to say just how much work we have got from our lorrries, The quote seen your lorries we hear time and time again.

I used to have a little ex bt ford for running around quoting etc, very tidy and sign written. Won a job with a client nice house little cul de sac worth a bit of money. Quoted and got the work - Well a few weeks before we had a lorry stolen so just to keep us working a brought a old council tree gang leyland road runner looked horried ugly thing but started, tipped and worked. Sent my best to lads to do the job "The Client did belive that they worked for me turning up in a lorry like that as it did not fit with the image i put over" i had to go to site and talk him round!!!! The lads did the tree and client was delighted with them and the skill in taking down a big ash in a tight corner over his garage

So to some up Image counts if it is a little older lorry spend some money and tidy it up or invest as i belive it is an investment on something newer.

Edited by Monkey-D
please read forum rules on use of language

Being smart and presentable in this business is hard work. Customers do not expect you to be pristine. However if you are quoting then wear clean working trousers/Combats and say a t-shirt/fleece with company logo on to give you that first impression.

Vehicle wise it doesn't matter on the age as long as it's kept clean and people can read your sign writing. No rust is always good as well as it shows you maintain your kit.

Once you have the job turning up with clean and serviceable equipment and employees with the correct PPE to carry the job out will always help promote your business just as much as you completing the job satisfactorily as quoted will help word of mouth business.

The way you act throughout the entire job will have bearing on the way the customer views you. Some just go for the first impression but others will critic you on the whole job. It's just the way some people are. Always good to be aware of who you are working for and what there expectations may be.

Age of vehicle not important. Best way to loose a job rusty dirty vehicles, anyone swearing on site spitting or farting, chainsaw trousers with linings hanging out. too many tea breaks and bodies every where texting or taking phone calls. Dangerous practices and vocal disregard for H&S ( even if it often over the top )