Vehicle Image

Billy

How much does having a new-ish, or shall i say, not a transit or LDV really affect business in the opinions of you guys. I've been running a smiley for a while it does th ejob, bit slow, bit noisy, kind of ugly but it works and was very cheap to buy. I recently bought a Daily to have something more pleasent to drive and a bit better at getting the job done. Unfortunatley I have discovered some relativley expensive problems with it involving warning lights and injectors:sneaky2:. Now i'm gonna have to fix it to use it, or sell it and i'm not sure what to do.

A few people i know have got shiny new vans and thought it improved their word of mouth/on the job leads. However I thought i'd seek a broader variety of opinions and experience on the matter here as I know theres a few still running the smileys and LDV's and also the guys with shiny new or slightly more modern 3.5t tippers and then the mogs and the like.

I hate when these newer diesels go wrong and need a diagnostic machine as part of the repair process as problems can often be entirley electronic. Of course this isn't a problem with the good old 2.5Di tranny, I can fix anything on the transit for cheap and on my own without any need for a code reader at £50+ VAT a time and no partis more than £100:laugh1:. I'd be interested to hear wether guys think the age/look/general image of your vehicle has a direct affect on customer interest and confidence.:thumbup1:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask your customers - until 2 years ago I was using a 1994 VW LT35.

In 6 years Nothing broke on it! It was slow but always reliable. Only problem was tin-worm on the edge of some panels.

For the last year I owned it I asked customers about the appearance factor.

The overall view was..

If you turn up in what looks like an old wreck you may appear to be one of the 'travelling' fraternity, but at least you will not be expensive.

If you turn up in a gleaming crew-cab tipper with lots of shiny bits you may be seen as 'obviously charging too much' - but maybe doing a better job?

It depends on the customer - some don't care about the truck - ususally they care about YOU and your attitude.

I usually use my land rover when I go out quoting so they don't see the van till we do the work. Over the years we've had tons of repeat business and loads of enquiring neighbours (they ask for a card while you're there - then phone you after you've finished the work and they've spoken to your customer).

A decent van is undoubtedly better than a nail - you feel better driving it, but its YOU and YOUR WORK that matters the most.

Go for something you are happy with running/maintaining - then you can relax and enjoy the work.

Customers will remember a good quality of service and approach long after the costs and the vehicle you were driving.:biggrin:

I agree - except that a potential customer has only your appearance to judge you on until they contact you.

There is probably middle ground here cause too shinny rings alarm bells too

Image does play a part in the big scheme of things . I for one hate most of the modern crud . Ldv 5 years old floor pan rotten ? Nissan Patrol not starting ECU problems . As long as your vans not a complete rust bucket it dont really matter . You,ll always get the customers who think because one tree surgeon has a shiney new van he will be a better option . Then on the other foot some people think the opposite . Having printed hi viz and all staff in matching clothing makes you stand out . Tranny 2.5di mint engine as a work horse :001_smile:

I drive a green 110 landy tipper bashed and dented all over . People still ask me for business cards all the time .

Mind you I tend to think a landy really does fit in with the overall tree work thing .

Edited by White Noise

Lost of good posts here. I run an old tranny but i put a private plate on it to take away the age of the vehicle, i keep it in fair nick but people would clock the 'N' reg and recognise it was an old pick up and sometimes judge the book by the cover.

But its like everything some will and some wont and you cant hope to please everybody all the time.

I do agree with apbell that the landy does have a good image when it comes to tree work and looks the part, ALTHOUGH meeting clients in the winter with snotters hanging out your face because you nearly froze to death on the journey is NOT a good look:001_tt2::lol:

Lost of good posts here. I run an old tranny but i put a private plate on it to take away the age of the vehicle, i keep it in fair nick but people would clock the 'N' reg and recognise it was an old pick up and sometimes judge the book by the cover.

But its like everything some will and some wont and you cant hope to please everybody all the time.

I do agree with apbell that the landy does have a good image when it comes to tree work and looks the part, ALTHOUGH meeting clients in the winter with snotters hanging out your face because you nearly froze to death on the journey is NOT a good look:001_tt2::lol:

:lol: cruel but true .

Ha ha ha for sure it takes about 8 miles before the cab gets warm :thumbdown:

The condition of the vehicle is more important than the age. I do nearly all my pricing in a 1884 suzuki sj jeep that I payed £150 for 3 years ago. Its always clean and well kept and usually crops up in the conversation.When I go pricing I dress in the manner that I think the customer would expect, which in my opinion is smart casual greens and waking boots, I wouldnt price in trainers jeans and hooded top for example:lol:. The saying 'You never get a second chance at a first impression' is right. Coming back to the vehicles Im not sure if we have got posh ****** in sussex but some of the nicest trucks I've seen have been owned by travellers:confused1:.