How much for a service?

J Scott

Recently bought a saw off ebay, got home filled it up and seemed to be working fine. Took it out a few days later to cut some leylandi started, idled and kept dying out. Checked all the usual things spark plug, fuel and air filter, starter cord and spring, i didnt want to go fiddling about with the carb or anythin as i haven't had a lot of experience.

Took it to my nearest Stihl dealer after a days work with my usual saw, its not my prefered dealer but it is a lot closer! they penciled it in told me they would give me a call once they looked at it and if i would pay on delivery to which i replied yes and asked for a rough estimate.

She replied "i'm not sure, we charge £49 an hour plus VAT and any parts on top of that." :scared1::scared1::scared1:

Is that the norm? i'm sure i can get it done a hell of a lot cheaper at the other dealer or even a bloody garden centre!

Jay

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is stupidly high. £49 for just having a fiddle and getting it working properly. Mind you we were charged £120 for 3 hours of investigation work on our T535 Tirfor for them just to say yes we need to order more parts. It was an old winch and would have cost more to fix than buy a new one. But still £49/hour is a piss take.

Well they're certainly off my list rather travel the extra distance. Its the second strike went in for a replacement chain a good while ago and they supplied a 1.5mm gauge rather than a 1.6 didnt realise till i was halfway through the life of it! Should have checked though so can't say too much :blushing:

Jay