Pricing - too high?

Mark Bolam

Thats shocking......got one option...ring health and saftey on em..

but what they going to do they dont no when the tree is coming out (maybe a sunday)cant really do much just hope everyone dont take trees down for wood. that chestnut i would say the only way u could get it down safe is to rig so what climbers going to work for sweet FA

BUTLER where do u live im just wondering as i have some pic of a job a mr butler done just up the road from me subbed a climber i no i think his name was steve butler not shore though it was a big cedar

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but what they going to do they dont no when the tree is coming out (maybe a sunday)cant really do much just hope everyone dont take trees down for wood. that chestnut i would say the only way u could get it down safe is to rig so what climbers going to work for sweet FA

BUTLER where do u live im just wondering as i have some pic of a job a mr butler done just up the road from me subbed a climber i no i think his name was steve butler not shore though it was a big cedar

I live in the Channal Islands...im from Newbury, Berkshire, My Dad runs G A Butlers and sons? I have a brother called Steve although, he wouldnt of been working for a subbie, nither would he use subbies...where do you live?

I done a job last year a days work removing a small hedge took most the day I charged 550 I found out at the end of the job the bloke I was pricing against put 3500 and I thought I'd put a bit much on. I reckon with the lack of work people are trying different angles with pricing to see what works just make sure you don't lose out Mark.

Most excellent Lorry . £ 550 :thumbup:

you boys are going to have to tighten up and drop prices or live off the fat of the last couple of years. I dont believe you think £400 a day is cheap you could work for a lot less without being a "busy fool" there is still a good margin at less.

I wish i was getting anywhere near that for 2 good men grafting hard with top kit

Money talks as they say.

Whenever I up my prices the amount of work winning drops.

There will always be someone willing to do the job cheaper, I dont buy into the "Well they wont be in business for long" idea, they will, because they will survive, plus there are always new firms starting who will do the work cheap.

I have won a few jobs even though Im more expensive but I reckon the vast majority are because Im cheap or I want the money they thought it would be.

No doubt if I talked the customer up I could prob win more work but I just cant be doing with that tbh.:laugh1:

£400 a day stick to ya guns . I priced that willow quite high and did not think I would get it . Anyway turns out someone quoted £300 more than me . Swings and roundabouts :thumbup: I have dropped my prices in the past . I wont do it now . Sit tight a man of your calibre will be alright . Use your Geordie charm :laugh1:

How do you know it was the price that lost you the job?

Come to think of it, I was wearing an all-in-one romper suit....:001_tongue:

2 people basically said 'Oh, that's expensive'. One nice old boy rang back and said he'd had a better quote of £350, and £50 was a lot of money to him, fair play.

Only one job needed any serious climbing, the other two could be laddered I suppose, but you'd need a chipper. Or several visits to the layby....:sneaky2:

I'm not dropping. I can sit in the warm and dry drinking tea and get by with the odd load of logs every morning.

I always show my certs and insurance when pricing, and try not to let my greasy mullet fall out the back of my flat cap.

Geography only plays a part in it so far - if you drop your price too much you'll end up skint with no money to replace your worn out truck, chipper and saws.

You're right Tractorboy - everyone accepts when you're flat out!