Pricing - too high?

Mark Bolam

Sometimes you can loose a job because you are too cheap.Some large firms will be concerned there is not enough money in the job to carry out safely. Bad time of year for most people just after christmas and some firms really suffered due to the snow. Most self employed have a tax bill in a few weeks and large companies do not get their new budget till April. Look on the bright side bankers are getting their bonuses Try and target that market.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think £400/day for proper grafting with £40k worth of gear is too cheap anyway!

Holy Moly, I wish we could charge that down here. Is it Devon or what? Cornwall rates are higher than here yet have less money than the landed toffs in devon :confused1:. Went up last year from £350 to £375 a day for the typical 2 man setup and now contemplating massive price cuts as me and my mate have experienced a 90% drop in work won since the summer. Only firewood kept me going. It's dire I reckon.

@ least your phones ringing ,dead @ as dead thing up here :thumbdown:

Haven't had a 'phone call since the spring! No joke. Ok I haven't readvertised but word of mouth has done nothing for months. Only regular customers ticking over. My old climber who changed careers to a building surveyor now does weekend tree work for free! For the wood! :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Saying that the cost of fuel is crippling. How come another co can run their Renault lorry cherry picker on red classing it as an ag vehicle? Hell, wish I could run my truck on it!

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Got to look at a job this week that I priced 4 years ago. Just because you have'nt heard doesnt mean you aint got the jobs, with things as they are it might take a while for them to get back, they probably thought they'd get the best price if they asked now when they know the trade is quiet, then ring you later on in the year when everybodys busy and want it done within the week:001_rolleyes: .

Dont worry it will pickup soon and we'll all be rushed off our feet and rich :thumbup: .

(I've got a rose tinted visor from reading to many of Mr Blairs threads :lol:)

i charge 450 a day 1 climber one groundy and a chipper + take waste a day

the other week i got asked to price a job 1 tree over hangin a road chestnut i put 450 on it as i needed some signs 3/4 day etc bloke turns round said thought u would do it 4 free last bloke said he would do it for the wood. where is the profit in that

sorry my post dont help mark im finding its getting silly :sneaky2:

i charge 450 a day 1 climber one groundy and a chipper + take waste a day

the other week i got asked to price a job 1 tree over hangin a road chestnut i put 450 on it as i needed some signs 3/4 day etc bloke turns round said thought u would do it 4 free last bloke said he would do it for the wood. where is the profit in that

sorry my post dont help mark im finding its getting silly :sneaky2:

Thats shocking......got one option...ring health and saftey on em..

Saying that the cost of fuel is crippling. How come another co can run their Renault lorry cherry picker on red classing it as an ag vehicle? Hell, wish I could run my truck on it!

I think a cherry picker can run on red diesel as its not a good vehicle its a vehicle for a specific purpose.

Edited by Wee Jim
spelling

Holy Moly, I wish we could charge that down here. Is it Devon or what? Cornwall rates are higher than here yet have less money than the landed toffs in devon :confused1:. Went up last year from £350 to £375 a day for the typical 2 man setup and now contemplating massive price cuts as me and my mate have experienced a 90% drop in work won since the summer. Only firewood kept me going. It's dire I reckon.

Haven't had a 'phone call since the spring! No joke. Ok I haven't readvertised but word of mouth has done nothing for months. Only regular customers ticking over. My old climber who changed careers to a building surveyor now does weekend tree work for free! For the wood! :thumbdown::thumbdown:

hiya John , are you serious that we can charge more down here ? most firms are charging betwene £250 and £275 a day for a 2 man team .

I done a job last year a days work removing a small hedge took most the day I charged 550 I found out at the end of the job the bloke I was pricing against put 3500 and I thought I'd put a bit much on. I reckon with the lack of work people are trying different angles with pricing to see what works just make sure you don't lose out Mark.