Has anyone used a Timber Dragon TC1

The timber dragon trailer's do look quite nice but the only feedback I've had form anyone using one long term wasn't particularly great - but if you work on the basis of you get what you pay for then it may be worth a look.

The Vahva Jussi aren't bad and the good thing is as there are (or were) several stockists (M.LArge, Jonathan Latham and also Marshalls) you should be able to shop around and get a good price.

If you've not had a look, Riko build a range of small ones (from around 1.5 tonne capacity) and as they are built in house they can tweak the design to suit yiour needs (hydraulic brakes might not be a bad idea on slopes with a compact tractor), and they also have a choice of cranes, so you can even have a big lifter on a small trialer if required and even have a three point linkage base so you can use it on it's own for other jobs.

Could you please offer any advice on a three point linkage mounted crane that would suit my Ferrari 51HP Alpine tractor and be used independently of a trailer but also have the flexibility to be trailer mounted? Cheers, Tom.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tom,

How much does the ferrari weigh? The reason is I asked RIKO the same question when I was looking into an alpine tractor and they did not recommend a three point crane. The tractor just does not have the weight to balance out the load when lifting. You need the trailer to provide a platform. Mind you I was looking at a very small alpine - about 1 ton and your ferrari may weigh a good bit more?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tom,

How much does the ferrari weigh? The reason is I asked RIKO the same question when I was looking into an alpine tractor and they did not recommend a three point crane. The tractor just does not have the weight to balance out the load when lifting. You need the trailer to provide a platform. Mind you I was looking at a very small alpine - about 1 ton and your ferrari may weigh a good bit more?

The Ferrari is about 1.5 tonnes and RIKO gave me the same advice about lack of stability. I was thinking that it would be handy to be able to move timber in the yard and load up trailers without having to have a trailer on the tractor.

Cheers, Tom.

1.5 tonnes is better than the 1 tonne alpine I was looking at.

Very roughly to work out if something will tip you multiply the distance by the weight.

So a 500kg log on the end of a 3 metre crane needs 1500kg.to balance it. (3m x 500kg)

And an 800kg log at 2 meters needs 1600kg (2m x 800kg)

So the problem is you can quite easily pick up a log that will tip the tractor.

Then again you are not supposed to put a front loader on an alpine but Tom D seem to manage fine with his!

We have a Tc1, use it behind the quad in sensitive areas & love it. Before we got it, we said some fairly negative things about them, but really needed something of that ilk. All the similar trailers are sooooo much more money, which we just weren't prepared to pay. We've had ours over a year, lost count of how much timber we've moved with it, a good couple of hundred tonnes at-least & it's given no bother what's so ever, it'd been a tremendous buy & wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Like everything they have their limits, but you get used to it & learn how to move stuff way out of it's league with practice. If you need any more info, just shout!

Cheers.

I got an email from Atkinson Vos the other day saying they had stopped selling the Timber Dragon. The are applying for a CE mark but apparently do not have time to finish the paper work at the moment. They say they will start selling it again when the have had time to complete the CE process.

Edited by Ty Unnos

I got an email from Atkinson Vos the other day saying they had stopped selling the Timber Dragon. *The are applying for a CE mark but apparently do not have time to finish the paper work at the moment. *They say they will start selling it again when the have had time to complete the CE process.

Likewise when i contacted Atkinson, earliest date for CE mark September 2012 but i dont hold much hope.

Theres a few Timber Dragons on the second hand market with many having very little usage leading me to think they are built to a price and dont live up to expectations.

Im looking at the Vahva Jussi 320, anyone have any experience with these machines?

That ebay price is way over the top for a second hand Timber Dragon with no CE mark. Atkinson will sell you a brand new Timber Dragon for £4k plus vat (£4800).

Im watching this item to see if some mug buys it.