Operator licences - again...

benedmonds

Depends on not rubbing your neighbours up the wrong way.

The vehicle ought to be kept at the operating centre so unless you can convince the traffic commissioner that your home should be the operating centre keep the neighbour sweet.

cheers, the 35 & 50 dailys are the same size so if needed to ,i could take it home ,but using the yard as o center

It is perfectly possible to get an operating centre at a private address.

As Andy says, a large part depends on your neighbours not objecting, and the local authority/police not objecting.

You need enough room to drive in forwards, turn the vehicle and drive it out again. Bear in mind that if you specify one vehicle at an operating centre you could run any rigid vehicle from there, so really you need enough space to turn the largest standard rigid hgv vehicle available.

Oldmill, I still don't agree that a MOG is more versatile than a truck. The MOG will go off-road, so will a 4x4 truck, and the truck will still travel further and faster in more comfort than the MOG. What exactly is it that makes the MOG more versatile?

The only thing I can think of that a MOG can do that most trucks don't is a 3 point linkage, even then it is possible.

There are things that trucks do that no MOG does, as I pointed out earlier.

Therefore I contend that trucks are infinitely more versatile than MOGS.

Technically, no its illegal to park the vehicle somewhere other than the operating centre.

You will probably get away with it if you only do it occasionally, and your yard is in the same town as your yard. Otherwise they could look at the locations on your tacho charts and conclude you are not parking at your operating centre.

Have you thought of a Unimog? Does more than a regular truck for lower running costs. I run a U1200 and my only regret is not getting a long wheel base U1600 or bigger (bigger means heavier duty with more power as they are all the same size).

No they aren't, U1300,1500,1700 and 2100 are all physically bigger than U1000,1200,1600.

And my U1600 has a 245HP engine, so as powerful as a U2450, but mine will go through a 8' gate way unlike the bigger ones.

Technically, no its illegal to park the vehicle somewhere other than the operating centre.

You will probably get away with it if you only do it occasionally, and your yard is in the same town as your yard. Otherwise they could look at the locations on your tacho charts and conclude you are not parking at your operating centre.

im not sure on this, the vehicle doesnt have to return to its operating centre daily, im sure it needs to parked at the op centre periodically, ill look into this,

on a different note, those using ivecos, genuine parts available at good discounts from zepplin trading 01923 840154, & phillips commercials 024 7637 1617 !!

It doesnt have to be at the operating centre every night, look at long distance hauliers for example, they can be away for weeks at a time. However, they would be expected to park in an appropriate place, ie a truckstop, a distribution centre, or somewhere that is appropriate.

If you start regularly parking the vehicle somewhere other than your operating centre, you are liable to get into trouble. New operators get a spot inspection, usually in their first year, and that is one thing they look for. If you pass the spot inspection, and no-one makes a complaint, then you won't get any bother.

FWIW, my truck gets parked at the operating centre every night, except when its working away from home, as I don't really want a truck cluttering up my drive.

im not sure on this, the vehicle doesnt have to return to its operating centre daily, im sure it needs to parked at the op centre periodically, ill look into this,

The rules say the vehicle should be parked at the operating centre “when not in use”

Clearly if you are a route march from your centre then any suitable parking is appropriate for general haulage that means truck stops and suchlike.

If your house is local to your centre they will expect you to park there.

i think it is one night in every 4 weeks the vehicle has to be kept at op centre, a customer of mine had 7 vehicles, lost his o licence through bankruptcy whilst getting divorced!!! he carried on running them by adding the vehicles to another o licence, put some signwriting on the door stating 'operated by ********' vosa had a pull car outside his gates checking tachos one day!! im sure they where parked at the 'other yard' once a month, his daughter eventually passes her cpc so all well an good!! agree with the first inspection within a year, everyone gets that as you rightly said, 1st time annual passes an no probs at roadside checks keeps them happy, peter is your iveco on drums at rear with rockwell axle?? if it is ive got a new brake adjuster if yours ever seizes!! something to keep in mind!!!!