Operator licences - again...

benedmonds

Can anyone let me know if I've missed anything?

As far as I can tell if I want to run a Iveco 50c I will need a restricted O licence-

It takes 10 weeks to apply,

I need to put an add in the local paper

Apply to local vso GV79 -£250 http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/CONT067024.pdf

(need to have funds (£3400) available to maintain and off street parking...)

pay a 5 yearly fee of £391

Also must have the ability to inspect and maintain it to the required standard or have an agreement in place to someone else do it for you.

6-12 week inspections including roller brake/decelerometer tests

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_Theme_files/Maintaining_roadworthiness_PCV_1110.pdf

We can claim tacho exemption if the vehicles shall be used only within a 50 km radius of the base of the undertaking and on the condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s main activity.

The cost and hassell for 5 ton not worth it, thats a joke

Bigger vehicles are too big for most domestic jobs IMO so if I want to work within the law it's the only way.

It's not that much hassle as I see it, £700 and a regular inspections, which you should be be doing for PUWER any way.

The cost and hassell for 5 ton not worth it, thats a joke

It's not a Joke...!

The Road Traffic Act 1988 requires “vehicle users” to ensure that vehicles are not overloaded. If a vehicle is found to be overloaded both the driver and operator could be prosecuted or cautioned. Legislation imposes fines of up to £5,000 for each offence. That means a fine for each overloaded axle plus any overloading on the total weight. Also, if a vehicle is dangerously overloaded the driver could face a charge of Dangerous Driving which carries a maximum penalty of two years in prison. Other offences within the Road Traffic Act include refusal to allow the vehicle to be weighed and obstruction of an officer which also carry a maximum fine of £5,000. If a vehicle is overloaded and results in someone being killed, both driver and operator could face going to jail for Manslaughter or Death by Dangerous Driving.

January 2010 Guidance Notes from the DFT say £3100 for first vehicle, £1700 for each additional.

Standard National and International are now both £8100 for the first, £4500 for each additional.

The same figures apply btw whether you are running a brand new £200k 8x4 recovery vehicle or a 20 year old 5 tonne tipper.

Can anyone let me know if I've missed anything?

As far as I can tell if I want to run a Iveco 50c I will need a restricted O licence-

It takes 10 weeks to apply,

I need to put an add in the local paper

Apply to local vso GV79 -£250 http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/CONT067024.pdf

(need to have funds (£3400) available to maintain and off street parking...)

pay a 5 yearly fee of £391

Also must have the ability to inspect and maintain it to the required standard or have an agreement in place to someone else do it for you.

6-12 week inspections including roller brake/decelerometer tests

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_Theme_files/Maintaining_roadworthiness_PCV_1110.pdf

We can claim tacho exemption if the vehicles shall be used only within a 50 km radius of the base of the undertaking and on the condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s main activity.

I Applied for my operator licence yesterday . So far its cost me £450 with an addtional £391 if we get the licence .

Its all a load of rubbish but if you dont do it properly and get caught you can get your lorry impounded and fined . It will also go against you if you then try to apply for a licence . Seems as i have spent lot of money on my new lorry its worth doing it properly .

On the upside i did some hunting around and found a really good idpendent hgv Fitter who charges £40 for the 6 weekly check and £40ph +parts for any repairs needed :001_smile: . Iveco main dealer wanted £100ph +PArts

• Like 1