• Occasionally
    • Every day
    • No Training
    • Yes training should be provided

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also best practice to steer your car using the ten to two method and always stay under the speed limit :biggrin:

haha, but that is my point. the argument that youre not supposed to use the 200 with one hand is made void by the fact theres no way youre ever going to cut everything with a silky. or drive with 2 hands and no texting around the knees and flicking through the ipod to find something good!

I bloke i worked with, good climber and what have you, Only ever climbed and still does to my knowledge with a back handled saw, e.g ms260, and he use's his silky a fair bit, but hes quick enough. His reason being that it forces him to get in a good working position and there is nt going to be much chance of having his arm hacked off by mistake, I have had a work mate cut him self bad whilst only having one hand on the saw, makes you think a bit. I think there should be some more training in the cs 39 about one handed use - the saws are tempting for that, though its handy when your in the middles of a cut and you need to scratch your nose or swat at that annoying wasp thats been following you around the tree... Its not some thin Newbie climbers should rush to do, they need time to practice and get really comfortable with the saw

I bloke i worked with, good climber and what have you, Only ever climbed and still does to my knowledge with a back handled saw, e.g ms260, and he use's his silky a fair bit, but hes quick enough. His reason being that it forces him to get in a good working position and there is nt going to be much chance of having his arm hacked off by mistake, I have had a work mate cut him self bad whilst only having one hand on the saw, makes you think a bit. I think there should be some more training in the cs 39 about one handed use - the saws are tempting for that, though its handy when your in the middles of a cut and you need to scratch your nose or swat at that annoying wasp thats been following you around the tree... Its not some thin Newbie climbers should rush to do, they need time to practice and get really comfortable with the saw

We tried this at work, using a back handled saw in the tree. But we just ended up using the backhandled saw one handed, and even worse positioning as you could reach further one handed with a backhandle saw than you could with a 200t one handed, so this was more dangerous, and worse on your wrists.

So were back to climbing with an ms200t and ms192t now, one handed operation all day everyday if im honest.

We tried this at work, using a back handled saw in the tree. But we just ended up using the backhandled saw one handed, and even worse positioning as you could reach further one handed with a backhandle saw than you could with a 200t one handed, so this was more dangerous, and worse on your wrists.

So were back to climbing with an ms200t and ms192t now, one handed operation all day everyday if im honest.

Now that is bone idle.

I did a little experiment yesterday trying to use the 200t with two hands all the time whilst dismantling a large Oak and came to the conclusion that it is sometimes down right dangerous to try and position yourself whilst keeping two hands on the saw and also out of the way of the branch.

The senario was really long branches (25ft+) going out over a roof on the Oak away from a stem which was leaning quite a lot out toward the roof.

I was on spikes, I had been out on the branch to put the lowering rope on balance point I was then going to put in a vertical gob to swing the branch in from over the roof.

The rigging worked perfect and branches came over really nice. The problem was getting the gob and back cuts in. I obviously wanted to be ontop of the leaning stem so I didn't swing round it and underneath.

To get a good work position was very difficult, you would have had to go below or level with the cut, guess you were doing the gob right, check it then move round the other side of the stem to do the back cut. You would then have put yourself in a position where you could have copped it from the butt breaking away.

I did the gob from above with my knees level with the cut using two hands forming one part of the gob then one hand for forming the other, which was still difficult. Then move out of the way to above the cuts and finished with the back cut with one hand whilst holding on to a branch with the other so I could get out of the way fast

I reckon it would have been dangerous to try and do it with two hands

I could probably have done the hinge farther out on the branch to make it a little easier but then I'd be leaving a pegs which would have to be also rigged down or hand held

I use an MS200 T a lot but rarely one handed. I try to position to avoid one handed use but If im leaning out on a limb and have to use this saw one handed then I will. its an awesome machine and I have found it invaluable, perhaps as previously mentioned there should be some training on it's use included on the basic chainsaw course that advises on one handed use.