Lack of Moral Fibre/Common Decency

Lurcherman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lurcherman, for what its worth I don't think you gave them too much it was a simple case of them betraying your trust. I went out to the states at 18 and got culture shock but that was softened by the kindness of my boss who let me kip in his home when I had nowhere to stay. I was grateful and recognised that they were taking a risk with me, which spurred me on to learn and do well. All I'm saying is you were no fool for trying to help them settle in and don't be put off. As someone else said what comes around goes around, and that goes for good deeds too.

In my experience, if you give too much and you try to make things easy for people you tend to attract wasters, bullsh*tters, lazy guys wanting a fortune and even sometimes dishonest guys out for nothing but their own gains at your expense, however if you persist and keep looking now and again you come across really good guys that are worth everything you offer an more.... but good guys a few and far between.

I would take this experience and chalk it up as a learning curve - in future tell guys they will need to bring enough money with them to sustain them for a fortnight and after the initial fortnight they will be paid a week in hand and have 50% of their flight refunded to them and that temporary accommodation is available to them at £20 Euro a night or whatever you want.

The guys that are worth having will see that you are honest and doing your best for them and that if hey want the work and the lifestyle of the Algarve with it then the need to prove themselves.

I wouldn't take anybody fresh out of college or off a 10 week course as you'll most likely be disappointed in the experience race but if you can find somebody with a year or more of experience that's up for a challenge you'll be laughing!

You might end up having to pay a bit extra money, but if you want a self employed climber you should look towards somebody recommended or in demand with a proven track record.

Good luck with your search - don't be put off by idiots!

Just a quick line or two to express my appreciation to all fellow ArbTalkers for their, in some cases, very kind words of support and understanding.

However, I did not post this thread to garner sympathy or give it a lot of 'boo-hoo, woe-is-me'. I was hoping that one of the lads would have contacted me over the last couple of days and offer an explanation for their actions - oh, and to have a rant!:biggrin:

Only one of these objectives has been achieved and I think this thread may have run it's course (I may be wrong!)

I am taking away from this some sound recruitment advice for the future and I thank those who have contributed to that.

I have 2 more guys turning up in the next 5 days and I'll see if they work out so I should be sorted. Having said that, if todays volume of enquiries (and we're running at about a 90% take-up rate) is any indication of how busy we are still to get, don't be surprised if another request for good tree men is posted soon.

I do think that the way these guys behaved In terms of severing their employment, the message, leaving the car and flat etc how they did Is terrible and nothing short of totally unacceptable!.

It didn't take much working out who one of them was, a quick look at your past posts lead me there following a clue from an earlier post in the thread!.

Out of curiosity, and I dont mean or intend to show support for these two whatsover!, was everything spelt out before they departed for the Algarve?, working hours and days, daily rate, how temporary the flat was, what they would have to pay for the flat etc and an Idea given as to the cost of permanent digs?.

From another side, like a couple of others who have posted, I too took work out in Germany several years ago, my first work abroad!, I was lured by the wages, the free flight, the free digs and grub etc and signed to an Initial 28 day contract, all climbing and mainly reduction work. When I landed, no one was there to meet, greet and transport as promised. It took me an age to get an answer on the telephone, only to be given an address and Instructions on how to get to the site!, I was a little shocked and surprised to say the least. Getting there cost me an arm and a leg, and yet more surprised to find my digs were on the site, In the middle of the forest In what only just resembled the kind of porta kabin type digs most of us have seen at some stage, us older boys at least!, on a well known Geordie boy builders, tale of adventures type show In years gone by. My food was toast or some sgrambled oat thing, no options to pack up, option to return to said digs for lunch if you could work it out and a stew like mush for every evening meal, all sorted out by the so called foreman :], on top of this I suffered what felt like mega sub zero temperatures constantly, no means to get to the local shop, which was probably about 50 miles away anyway, or so it felt lol, never got the smell of a beer, let alone any local girls, who would probably have resembled the wild men of Borneo anyway, so probably just as well :].

Having said all this, I felt it was more my problem than that of my employer as I hadn't asked for full clarification and as such, although I complained often!, I stayed the course, did my daily quota, ate the mulch, suffered the cold and departed after my contracted 28th day. On a plus note I learnt a lot from the experience, did get transported back to the Airport and did have the bucket load of cash in my bin as promised :]

Hard moments, but a happy ending :]

Wish you every success Lurcherman, Im sure a good man or two are coming your way soon