Guess the age?

Steve Bullman

If i remember rightly it started to die and had compaction work done and fed with good success i might be wrong on this but i do remember reading it somewhere:scared1:

yeah there was a programme about saving it on A YEAR AT KEW i think.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we go to the AA trade fair we stay in the Townhouse Hotel, Cheltenham.

Round the back in the next hotel along was a 50ft Ginkgo, like I said WAS.

It wasn't there this year, so I enquired at our hotel what had happened to it. Apparently it had been taken down because the owners didn't like it.

I told them it was a massive shame as they were unusual and that I had photographed it the previous year.

They said they had been onto them to try and save the tree but to no avail.

50ft Tree been there how long??

...and some ignoramous comes along, hmmm, don't like that, lets have it down. :mad1:

Greenboy you should know this type of thing. Read trees and shrubs hardy in the british isles by W.J.BEAN

1950 in three volumes,you might get them for a £100.:001_smile:

Your right Dave i should of known, dont beat me to hard! I do feel a bit of a tit especially when i was down at Kew a month ago and we were told about the Gingko so god only knows what i was thinking:011:. I'll blame the couple of bottles of stella that i had:001_smile:

Anyway what age is it then steve?

just recently visited milan after the etcc and was walking in and around milan and came to a park where there were two massive ginkos there. i had to look twice coz i couldnt believe it. we looked at them for a while and guessed them to be 80-90 (realistic) feet. when i get the camera cable back ill post a photo. does anyone know where the champion ginko is. i remember reading something about it being behind a buddist temple somewhere.

All I know is the fruit smell terrible, a bit like shite, so of course as you would I ate some! [not the fruit the kernal/nut, i'm not that silly, saying that I did try Durian] in a chinese soup in Chinatown Sydney, very nice,if a bit bland..

I remember reading that they rarely set fruit in the UK..