Daihatsu Fourtrak 4wd problem

Jack

Hi Guys, i hope someone can help and give me some advice about the 4wd on my Fourtrak. When 4wd is engaged and I'm turning and getting near to full lock at slow speeds, it starts making a knocking noise around the front wheels somewhere. I dont think think it has done this when driving off road, or in the recent snow and ice, but only, i think on tarmac and wet roads. I hear it might be the CV joints? or is it because im a fool and have been driving in 4wd on solid surfaces:blushing:?

Im about to sell the vehicle, as Ive just bought a Ford ranger, and would like to know what im dealing with when selling it. if it is the CV joints is it expensive to replace? or is it something entirely different? Hope someone can help, Cheers.

Btw, Its a 1997 reg with automatic locking hubs, if that makes any difference.

Edited by Jack
Forgot something

are you in 4low?

i have a 4track,been outstanding in this bad weather,but i have been in 4high for road driving[with snow and ice on] for the past week

4low is for pulling off slowly in bad conditions or pulling a heavy load.

if you are in 4low its not very good for driving around :blushing:

But the think that makes me think it isn't the cv joint is that it doesn't make a knocking noise of road or in snow, is it just transmission wind up, from the odd occasion in been in 4wd on roads.

I do it with the button, and 4wd is engaged in full.

But the think that makes me think it isn't the cv joint is that it doesn't make a knocking noise of road or in snow, is it just transmission wind up, from the odd occasion in been in 4wd on roads.

I do it with the button, and 4wd is engaged in full.

not sure jack!

mine drives fine,but when i drive up my lane then reverse in turning there is the odd clunk!

when i put in 4 manually then reverse back a little to engage,there is also a clunk:blushing:

is the 4WD system selectable? like you can either drive in 2WD or 4WD.

if so you should NEVER drive in 4wd while on the road!!! unlike a land rover defender there is no differential in the middle so there is no give in the system. while going round corners the front wheels will go faster than the rear ones and with no differential something has else has got to give, usually breaking something.

4wd is only for when you are likely to loose traction which you don't get on tarmac.

pete

Most of the noises sound normal. in 4h or 4l I think the same bits are engaged dont drive on tarmac with this engaged. All the jap stuff i have makes various clicks and clacks going backwards and forwards. Dont move heavy trailers in 4 low as this will defo break something.