Boxing Day Hunt Meets

Matthew Arnold

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if this is true, it could quite feasibly be the precursor to a HSE shut down of hunting with dogs in public areas:

Why do you say that? There's been plenty of reports over the years of uncontrolled packs of hounds attacking pets and nothing has been done.

It seems rather bizarre to me that I could get into trouble for walking my single dog without a collar in public but someone else can drive a pack of dogs over my land without my permission and there's nothing I can do about it.

Why do you say that? There's been plenty of reports over the years of uncontrolled packs of hounds attacking pets and nothing has been done.

It seems rather bizarre to me that I could get into trouble for walking my single dog without a collar in public but someone else can drive a pack of dogs over my land without my permission and there's nothing I can do about it.

Just musing....

I hadn't heard of such an incident before.... And in any case, that which has gone before might not always be the best direction for the future.

I'd say it's a work based activity so must surely be under HSE legislation.

There could be a possible case of manipulation here don't you think? That of the facts and the use of the media?

Statistics say there are over 1000 pets a year killed in this country by domestic dogs that have "accidentally" ripped apart cats, rabbits and other dogs.

There are some 345 reported cases of "pack dogs" running feral and killing other pets.

Yet the 4 cases of a pack of "fox hounds" doing the same are the only ones that hit the tabloids and are quoted in point of an argument.

There could be a possible case of manipulation here don't you think? That of the facts and the use of the media?

Certainly take your point - I don't know. Personally, I don't think the article was 'sensational' or overtly biased (one way or the other.) It appeared to be reporting the circumstances of the event rather than spinning it. Can't be sure of course, I wasn't there!

...There could be a possible case of manipulation here don't you think?

Statistics say there are over 1000 pets a year killed in this country by domestic dogs that have "accidentally" ripped apart cats, rabbits and other dogs.

There are some 345 reported cases of "pack dogs" running feral and killing other pets.

Yet the 4 cases of a pack of "fox hounds" doing the same are the only ones that hit the tabloids and are quoted in point of an argument.

Dog attacks on humans do tend to make the media....

There is a significant and marked difference between single (or pack) uncontrolled domestic / semi domestic dog attacks on other animals and a pack which is bred, kept, trained and deployed, supposedly under human command, attacking domestic dogs / humans in a public space - perhaps.....

Just for clarity, I'm not a card carrying "anti", I'd say I was somewhat uncomfortable if asked the specific question but it's not something I'd get a hairy shirt on about. (unless it directly and adversely affected me such as entering or damaging my property) - FWIW, I think the full on anti's are more class war motivated than animal welfare motivated - there are far more worthy animal welfare causes than anti fox hunting.

Assuming the article is true and accurate, any body that thinks purposely taking the pack onto a public beach is anything other than a grossly misjudged action, irresponsible, damaging to the public perception and potentially criminally negligent could only ever come from within the ever dwindling community of active fox hunters. I'm not convinced there will ever be an objective opinion from one hard line camp or the other (pro / anti) that just leaves us in the middle to discuss it impassionately.

There's plenty of stories about single dog attacks in the papers if you look and as a dog owner I'll happily admit there's plenty of owners out there that shouldn't be allowed a dog or any form of pet.

I was pro hunting but each time I've meet a hunt out and about their behaviour has done very little to help their case.

I'm sure there's some responsible hunts out there and I'd genuinely like to know what they do to keep their packs off land they don't have permission to use and also what they do to fully control their dogs in public spaces.

Just a little diversion - do you shotgun guys eat what you shoot? (not the foxes, obviously) - pheasant etc? Just watched a thing about lead contamination in game in the USA - they are thinking about phasing out lead bullets for copper. There is an argument that a copper slug, carrying less stopping power, is less humane, but other studies say they are fine. They took blood samples from people who live in rural north american communities that are frequent consumers of game and they have notable higher levels of lead in their systems than the general population. Apparently the slug, or pellets, as they pass through the animal, fragment to a degree, and the main mass and shards also shed microscopic particles of lead. When scanned with a ex-ray the lead spread in the carcass is quite evident - it spreads out farther than what one would imagine.