looking for work abroad

tree spider

Hi my names Rich,

Looking for any advice or help for working in Canada or any other country whether it be for 6 months , a year or full time.Is it easy visa wise. How does work differ than in the UK?

I'm self employed climber as well groundsman.Have two half years of experince doing all manner of tree work from planting,pruning to full removal of trees of medium size.Have also done a small bit of forestry but would be keen to work and experience felling bigger trees like redwoods in Canada/America and generally working with trees abroad.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

[email protected]

Hey Mate.

Tree stuff in the US differs greatly in some respects and not at all in others.

One major one is that, in the states, most chainsaw safety trousers aren't tested to UL (independent testing laboratory) standards. However, chaps (Arseless trousers) are all the fashion at the moment.

Canada has some big trees and many are felled. There are, however, lobbyists who do their best to put old-growth forests (ancient woodland) and large trees like the redwoods under protected status. I have no problem with that as these trees are majestic and it will be a shame when the last one hits the ground.

I am from Washington state where we had about enough forest to carpet at least half of the UK (no kidding). The state of Oregon, just south, is a landmass roughly the size of the UK and it's covered in forest also. British Columbia, in Canada, just north of Washington State, is particularly well known for it's forestry. Do some searches and you should be able to find a few posts on a job going in Kelowna, BC (I think... maybe just search British Columbia) that looked pretty spectacular for the right applicant.

As far as Arb stuff goes, it was entirely normal to have to gaff (spur/spike) up a 180 foot tree, knock out it top and come down and bring down the other half... and that's in relatively normal peoples back garden!

As far as pay is concerned, I had a friend who was looking to work with me in the Tree Care business I was with at the time. I was paid the norm which was about $10-$20 an hour. $20 if you're good and experienced, $10 if your boss is thrifty with his nickels and dimes. I got a little more than pocket lint. My mate was thinking of coming out of full-scale logging operations. I found out how much he was paid and nearly had a heart attack. He was coming home with about $28/hour, nearly £3000 a month!!! That's a friggin Professional's wage! The best part is that he was basically just setting the rigging. No cutting, no brashing, just tying lines.

SO, if you're up for finding the job in this harsh economical climate, you could have yourself a good time with a career over there. I'm over here living closer to my wife's family for the moment, but would jump at an opportunity to be back there if the situation was different.

Best of luck to you mate. Keep up the search. and enjoy whatever you find!

Bryce

Get yourself a Work Visa from the Canadian Embassy and then head over to Vancouver.Once you are there start calling round,stay at a Back packers Hostel untill you land a job and them move close to it.

The Biggest Trees in Urban area's are in West Vancouver.However there are more Tree Companies on the Mainland.

You can try

Burley Boys Tree Service

Davey Tree : Expert Tree Service Since 1880 : Tree Service and Lawn Service in Vancouver, British Columbia

Find local businesses, products, reviews and deals on YellowPages.ca

No one is going to give you a job without a trial.Likewise its useless being in the UK and not Canada if you want to work there.

It can be difficult getting a work Visa for the States and you have to be in your home Country to apply anyway.From what my mates tell me its unlikely that a firm in the US can't find a Climber locally to fill a role.There are alot of solid guys who are out of work.

I've never had to get a work visa for tree work in the states... but that's cause I'm american. I would have to second Mike's plan. If you want more of a foresty area, maybe look for businesses near Kelowna. It's a gorgeous place, central on the southern border of British Columbia, right off the eastern slope of the Cascades. Jack Kerawac did much of his writing for a few of his books from a Wild-Fire lookout in the North Cascades National Park, just south of the Canadian border.

That's ALSO a direction to look. If you want some serious badass skills, look into doing some Wildland Fire training. It's well worth the asskicking.

Stick with Mike's suggestions and good luck! It'll be a hell of a ride!

Bryce T.

I've never had to get a work visa for tree work in the states... but that's cause I'm american. I would have to second Mike's plan. If you want more of a foresty area, maybe look for businesses near Kelowna. It's a gorgeous place, central on the southern border of British Columbia, right off the eastern slope of the Cascades. Jack Kerawac did much of his writing for a few of his books from a Wild-Fire lookout in the North Cascades National Park, just south of the Canadian border.

That's ALSO a direction to look. If you want some serious badass skills, look into doing some Wildland Fire training. It's well worth the asskicking.

Stick with Mike's suggestions and good luck! It'll be a hell of a ride!

Bryce T.

If you want to do forestry in BC Canada

You'll need a BC Faller Certification.