Disco 3 whats it like in the snow

mendiplogs

I am going to call it a day on this thread as I seem to be insulting pride and joys which was not the idea. The point I was making if you use for work and want to pull a heavy chipper across a muddy field a defender with manual difflock will be better. I have found as an experienced 4x4 driver towing gensets on and off difficult sites for 20 years :001_tt2: with the toys on it will grind to a halt with the toys off it will sit there and spin one wheel. Good driver or not mud terrains or not.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

matt, has he got a little orange round sticker in the windscreen? or one on the tailgate saying disco3 ?

He has the normal disco 3 lettering on the back door. But he has a sticker staying "Keep honking. I'm reloading" on the back window and "No problems. Big problems" on the near side rear window. But it has Countryside Acess on the front doors. And a thick green stripe down the sides.

All 4x4's will struggle pulling a trailer in mud or on ice, again, it depends on what weight the trailer is, how many wheels it has and how wide those wheels are.

There are a huge number of variables, not just what vehicle it is

Towing a trailer is like thowing out an anchor, some surfaces it wont dig in, others it will and on mud it digs in well.

We all know what it is like pulling a chipper round and how if affects our motors

The 2007 model year Defender and all defenders since have traction control that is at least equal to that of the Discovery 3. The 2007MY onwards Defender can be identified by the bulge in the bonnet to cover the transit diesel engine that was fitted from that year on. If you can afford it, the Defender with the bulge in the bonnet has considerably better off-road performance than previous versions.

I made a training film about the 2007MY Defender for Land Rover. I found a bit of it here: Watch Land Rover Defender Towing a 12 Tonne Truck. Video at VideoHippy. Sorry about the anamorphic picture -- it should be viewed in widescreen.

I am going to call it a day on this thread as I seem to be insulting pride and joys which was not the idea. The point I was making if you use for work and want to pull a heavy chipper across a muddy field a defender with manual difflock will be better. I have found as an experienced 4x4 driver towing gensets on and off difficult sites for 20 years :001_tt2: with the toys on it will grind to a halt with the toys off it will sit there and spin one wheel. Good driver or not mud terrains or not.

no offence taken,,:001_tt2: just banter and standing my ground as i DO believe that the two vehicles are as good as each other,:thumbup1: