What is the safest chainsaw for a beginner?

Ty Unnos

I don't see the point of heated handles when you should be wearing approved chainsaw gloves. Heated handles might be good in Canada in the winter but in the UK with spring and summer approaching while wearing gloves anyway? I think not.CS

Heated handles are actually a feature designed to prevent White-finger. Personally, I know very few people in this business who actually wear specific chainsaw gloves as they wear out as quick as normal riggers and cost many times more. Anyway, as soon as your gloves get wet, they are cold and so are your hands. :001_smile:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heated handles are actually a feature designed to prevent White-finger. Personally, I know very few people in this business who actually wear specific chainsaw gloves as they wear out as quick as normal riggers and cost many times more. Anyway, as soon as your gloves get wet, they are cold and so are your hands. :001_smile:

yh i agree, trub is on the 346xpg, you have to be using the saw at full revs alot for them to work, ie, ringing up a trunk, they dont tend to work if you only snedding stuff up quick or only using short bursts of throttle,

they are great in the woods, but not so much for tree surgery works

yh i agree, trub is on the 346xpg, you have to be using the saw at full revs alot for them to work, ie, ringing up a trunk, they dont tend to work if you only snedding stuff up quick or only using short bursts of throttle,

they are great in the woods, but not so much for tree surgery works

LOL Was logging up arb waste at the yard yesterday....toasty hands! :biggrin:

LOL Was logging up arb waste at the yard yesterday....toasty hands! :biggrin:

yhh its good then,,, i was loggingup wood at the yard befor christmas when it snowed and my boss would go out on tree work, so he gave me a days would cutting up frozen logs,, i couldnt wait to get the next log and pick up my saw again

• 4 weeks later...

I think this Stihl chainsaw qualifies as the safest chainsaw on the market.

Minimal risk of injury (except to your self-esteem, possibly).

See the video presentation

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BtJ4g6fnEo]YouTube - Stihl's newest chain saw the 0100[/ame]

Regardless of all the power figures, weight, bar and chain type I have found one thing: Stihls chainbrakes are by far the best; the inertia chainbrake seriously works; can't think of a time when the one on my now old (1999) 036 for example failed to act long before the saw was going to need wrist activation on the chain brake lever. I've never found a husky or dolmar or echo as good.

Hi All

Just to say I passed CS30 and 31 this morning using my 346xpg.

I bought the 346xpg based on the advise in this thread so just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed.

It took me a while to get to grips with the 346 - it cut so fast I often went straight through a hinge or it would climb in a boring cut and come out the top. Once I got to grips with it I really started to appreciate power and balance.

If any other beginner are thinking of getting one I can recommend the 346xp for CS30/31.

Only thing I would change is I would have put a 13" bar on it and not the 15" I had. Smaller is easier to control and less bar to worry about when snedding.

And can now appreciate the comments about no safe chainsaws - only safe users.

Cheers