What is the safest chainsaw for a beginner?

Ty Unnos

I bought the missus an MS190CBE for her to learn with.

It looked like a plastic toy with it's 12" bar. Turned out to be an excellent saw - lightweight, easy to hold and manoeuvre and quite robust. I found myself reaching for it at the end of day for simple snedding and prepping brash for the chipper. She moved on to a larger saw after passing 30/31 so I sold it for not much less than what it was bought for.

Strangely I miss it!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys.

Great advice thanks.

So if the saw is dangerous its my fault and if its heavy it because I am a pussy!

I think I am going to like it here. :thumbup:

Guess its time to stop being a whimp and get the pro saw.

So down to business: 346xp or ms261.

I like the idea of heated handles and have found a place which will sell me a 346xpg for £440 + vat. It is a about £100 less than the first place I tried so think I have done ok.

I am tempted by the ms261 but am wary of the 'new' technology and electronics.

Is the 346xp going to be cheaper and easier to repair?

I also like the sound of the reduced emissions but it depends if it really makes any difference when using it. Is there going to be much noticeable difference to the operator between the 346 and 261 in terms of fumes and emissions? Or is a face full of petrol fumes just part of the fun!

I also like the sound of the 13 inch bar to begin with but what practical differences does the shorter bar make. I guess lighter and more manoeuvrable but what is the down side?

husky parts are spot on !next day delivery!! and many of the parts that do wear are interchangable so should be in stock at a good dealer! saying that its the dealer thats important my local sways towards stihl:thumbdown:but can still get me next day parts through husky.

A saws weight is important to a user, when i started we only had 262xp's and 266xp's i always wanted the 262's as the 266's had no decomp,weighed more and more importantly didnt rev like a motocros bike the 346 does all of those!!

Edited by MattyF

Ty Unnos - Husky and Stihl parts are both easy to get a hold of, Stihl slightly more so and a bit cheaper.

I would get the 15" bar as having to do a double bar cut on small trees would annoy me.

Get the 261 with its low emissions, run with aspen, bio oil and enjoy a healthy life! :D

I own an MS260 and have fairly extensively used a 346XP. I would always choose the MS260. I think it it easier to cut quicker with it as you have to be so careful with the Husqvarna to keep it in it's torque band. Plus the Husky feels like a toy that's liable to break at an time. It's not to say that it doesn't perform well, but I would always choose the Stihl. I'm very keep to try the MS261 and it is most likely that it will eventually replace my MS260.

I would perhaps try to find a new 260 tucked away at a dealers somewhere. They have been making them for years and spares are cheap and plentiful, as well as there being plenty on Ebay for parts. I do love my 260 :D

... is a face full of petrol fumes just part of the fun!

High or low emission ... the dangerous part (to the operator) of emissions are benzene and other additives, and you can avoid them by using Aspen 2T alkylate petrol - Aspen alkylate petrol - Environmental fuels - Motor racing fuel & racing oil from Anglo American Oils UK: Suppliers of high performance motor sports fuels - oils & Lubricants. or similar alkylate petrol. You'll also notice a much reduced level of nausea after a full day's work.

See also this posting http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/aspen-fuel/17678-its-time-wake-up-switch-aspen-fuel.html

346XP :D Its a cracking saw with a 13" or 15" bar. The problem I have come across with the 260 is they work great for the first year/two years but then after that as soon as you touch the revs they seem to die. I doubt it is bad maintenance as I have come across it on a number of saws by various owners.

Hopefully the 261 will not have this problem, and if so will be a real contender to the 346.

Sam

346XP already has low emissions anyway and is far more tried and tested than a MS261. MS260 is/was a good saw but you'd struggle to find a new one anywhere anyway!

Whoever mentioned that Stihl spares are easier to get hold of than Husky is talking rubbish, its down to the individual dealer iin reality.

If you want best power to weight, go for a 346XP you won't be disappointed.