setting the raker depth

travis

Without getting too technical, im not sure what the settings are? Generally on husky chains and the roller guides there is a depth guage guide attached to the side of it.

Probably best to A-Identify the chain, Find it on a filing chart and read across. you could also use the operators manual and the regular catalogue for help?

Identify the pitch of each chain, use identification numbers or trademarks which may be stamped on tie straps,drivelinks or in the case of stihl;stamped on the depth gauge to assertain this. Then use the appropriate chain guide for filing requirements, most manufacturers produce these on-line as pdf documents.:thumbup1:

regards

Dave

File them off - they just get in the way of extra fast, reckless cutting techniques :sneaky2:

Alternatively, file them to 0.025" and check out the performance and chip size. Unless you own a .404 pitch chain, 0.025" will most certainly do you very well. :thumbup1:

15inch bar on an 066, take the rakers down and you have a very quick cutting saw :thumbup:

The higher the raker is the thinner the curly wood will be. If it is thin it can curl up and fill the distance between cutter and raker.

Raker is set to low it will be aggressive and chop of instead of cut out.

It will be a stick that cover 30-40% of the space.

It will also create un needed powerloss, vibrations, wear and heat.

Often low rakers are a substitute for a sharp tooth, but is really not doing much good.

When I set the rakers I look at the saws power, job it is going to do and what wood it will cut. I meassure by eye with a flat file across three teeth and look at space between raker and file. Some were between 0,3 and 0,8mm is usually my settings.

I file it so it has a point in back that will wear of.

Never tuch the rakers unless needed, usually just before chain is half filed out.