Anyone selling a cheap wood burner?

Carl

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but personally I'd be very wary of buying a dirt cheap woodburner. Some of the Chinese stuff is absolute rubbish and you'll get an uncontrollable stove that will be the bane of your life as well as going through your log pile like a dose of salts. I've had one myself in the past and you could see daylight through the joints in the castings - replaced it with a decent stove and use probably half as much fuel to keep twice as warm!

The Chinese are fully capable of making a good quality stove, but if overseas buyers only want to pay £30 or so per unit, why should they bother about QC?

I don't sell stoves so no personal interest here - but work with them all the time and hear a lot of stories from customers. My advice would be to spend a little more and buy a decent one - even a second hand quality brand on ebay. A good stove will be one of the best things you ever buy - a poor one will leave you disappointed and disillusioned.

Andy

• 1 year later...

hi andy totally agree ive had cheap stoves as well, since i bought a cottager stove ive saved loads on fuel costs mine stays in overnight with slack anbd coal something a cheaper stove cant do, cottager stoves are very controllable and will last for years, im not a stove seller by the way just telling my experience of stoves plus there all one casting most barrel type stoves are connected by bolts in the castings

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but personally I'd be very wary of buying a dirt cheap woodburner. Some of the Chinese stuff is absolute rubbish and you'll get an uncontrollable stove that will be the bane of your life as well as going through your log pile like a dose of salts. I've had one myself in the past and you could see daylight through the joints in the castings - replaced it with a decent stove and use probably half as much fuel to keep twice as warm!

The Chinese are fully capable of making a good quality stove, but if overseas buyers only want to pay £30 or so per unit, why should they bother about QC?

I don't sell stoves so no personal interest here - but work with them all the time and hear a lot of stories from customers. My advice would be to spend a little more and buy a decent one - even a second hand quality brand on ebay. A good stove will be one of the best things you ever buy - a poor one will leave you disappointed and disillusioned.

Andy

Agree with this 100%, anything less than £400 is likely to be Chinese. I do sell stoves and I dont have any problems, ever. Because I dont sell cheap chinese ones. The small 4.7kw Carron stove is of Chinese manufacture or somewhere in that area, they do not give problems because they are not built to a price. And Carron are based in Lincolnshire, close to RAF Cranwell.. Expect to pay about £500.

Alternativly try to find a used stove of better quality. Talk to your local stove suppliers, they sometimes get offered trade ins or are aware of a customer with a used stove to sell.

Problem with the web is that the average life of a stove seller on the web is 18 months. So you have problems or want parts you may be stuffed. Most local stove dealers should be able to get reasonably close to web prices.

Dont forget to allow for install and flue costs, if you go through my posts here I have posted on that issue on several occasions.

A