All Terrains on a Transit?

Mark Bolam

Has anyone tried BF Goodrich All Terrains (or similar) on a Transit?

Not trying to turn it into an off-roader by any means, but a bit more traction in certain situations would help no end.

Just wondered if anyone out there has ever tried it, and how was tyre wear, mpg, road noise etc. affected? Or is it even possible?

Have sourced some for £100 each, so would be £240 more expensive than the £60 cheapos I currently use (double rear wheels, maths fans).

Thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Scandinavia lots of people use cars, instead of 4x4's all they do is change the tyres, I think its a good idea Mark if you need to get out in this weather, personally I'd rather sit at home.

The trouble with Transits IMO, I think the back axel/diff is too highly geared, my Isuzu Grafter twin rear wheel would go places a transit wouldn't, I do feel for the Cabstar boys in this weatherr though.........

I would be sitting at home in the warm in this weather even if I had a skidoo!

It's not so much for snow and ice, this weather is pretty rare here in Kent, although better tyres would have helped a bit at the beginning of the week.

It's more for some of the sites I tip chips at. Tends to spin the wheels a lot on wet grass etc., I'm not intending to dry and drive through any depth of mud or pretend it's a 4x4. If I did that, as Stevie pointed out, I would end up getting stuck more, not less!

Has anyone tried AT's on something other than a 4WD?

i saw a transit on weds on my way to work, it had a tonne builders bag right at the back, he was trying to pull out of a very gentle sloping road and was spinning the wheels for ages:thumbup: if he had decent tyres or all terrains then he wouldn't have spun as much and we could all have got on with our journey,:thumbdown: don't be that guy..get the good tyres:thumbup1:

Edited by armchairarborist
spellt stuf rong