All Terrains on a Transit?

Mark Bolam

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the input, not too many negatives so far it would seem.

Can't get the BFG AT's as cheap as I thought, has anyone got anything to add if the thread title was 'General Grabbers on a Transit' ?

Seriously thinking of going for it now, it's only any dramatic decrease in mpg that would put me off.

nothing wrong with general grabber AT2's Mark. Nothing at all. Old man had them on his disco for years. wear very well indeed and grip better than you'd think. easily as well as the BFG ATs id tried previously.

I run MT's on my pickup now out of necessity but for what you're talking about, so long as the speed and load rating is sufficient, Id jump on the generals right away

In Scandinavia lots of people use cars, instead of 4x4's all they do is change the tyres, I think its a good idea Mark if you need to get out in this weather, personally I'd rather sit at home.

The trouble with Transits IMO, I think the back axel/diff is too highly geared, my Isuzu Grafter twin rear wheel would go places a transit wouldn't, I do feel for the Cabstar boys in this weatherr though.........

By law you have to have wintertyres fitted from november to march if theres "winterconditions" in Sweden. When youre taking your driverslicence you have to do a special slippery road training to pass your test.

I know I will go against the grain with this one but general grabber used to be great.

Last pair had on navarra were utter tripe.horrid noise on road very very poor mileage and I found in wet mud were atrocious.

But tires are such a personal preference thing I think it's hardto advise.

Hi there I use mitchelin agilis alpin on my tranny, I think there just winter tyres though.

But the guy in the tyre shop said the mud pushes out from the flexible slits in the tread

It seems to work coz I defo don't get as suck as I used to. Although I'm still screwed if you get it off camber!!

There about 110 quid each

I,m still getting 26-28 per gallon with not much difference in road noise.

Hope this helps

Steve

I have bfg ats on our td5 disco van fitted in 2005 now done 60000 miles often with 3000kg trailer behind. Or high speed to southern ireland and all over scotland. Cant remember having a single puncture or rebalance, the side walls are starting to perish near the wheel on the rears. all tyres still have 4mm and pulled a 3 tonne trailer out of a snow covered field with 1:6 gradient last night which suprised me but not as much as the traction control ( lots of crunching and buzzing noises ) . Cant advise on grabbers not had an at2 but would imagine the the ride on road may be marginally better as the side walls are softer but they do wear quicker.

I had an old type transit as a camper and fitted A/T's to the back much better on grass etc, then I brought a 4x2 Ranger again fitted larger wheels, lifted it a bit and fitted A/T again better than road tyres, also fitted a pair of M/T to the back but if very muddy would be little better than the A/T.

Best thing for a 4x2 for both snow/mud is snow chains, I buy products from a country thats uses them so it's a Swedish logburner and Austrian snow chains from 'Brindley chains' I now have x3 sets all the cheaper 4x4 types at around £120. I have just brought a set for my old L200 4 life 265/70-16 as last winter I was given a set of 10.5-31 x15 M/T alloys worked well in snow/mud but it's still the same coming down frozen hills = 'tight cheeks & high pressure gas leaks' and I nearly got stuck in mud even with the diff lock and another time had to winch myself out with the M/T's fitted.

the trick is to practice fitting snow chains before you need them, The fun bit was when I ordered the snow chains, it snowed the next day and they were delayed - stuck in post van in snow? May be a problem fitting snow chains with double wheels but a set of spacers could solve the problem, or have a chat to Brindley chains.

Edited by blazer