alaskan v logosol

animatedpomegranate

Yes I have to be the most biased person to comment on this - feel free to tear this post apart.

Alaskan - pros - cheaper, quicker to set up and mill, portable, easy to use, can do huge logs.

Cons - the U bolt can be a weak point (these are being made out of better quality steel now), can't build up a static system, no add ons to make milling easier.

Logosol - pros - well made, can be added onto to become M5 M7, vast vast amount of additional equipment available, static set up works well on regular shaped logs.

- cons - more expensive, fiddly to set up on one off logs, designed in Scandinavia so more based around milling softwood (at least all the demos I've seen are based around milling softwood).

But I'd be interested to hear what logosol owners have to add as I've never owned/run a logosol only seen demos.

:001_smile:

I bought a big mill 5 years ago found it a lot of hassle to set up. moved on to an M7 which is great for smaller diameter straight stuff but am now considering an alaskan to bring lrg diameter stuff down to a size to fit m7 as it looks very handy to use. I would also be interested in opinions on the alaskan mill to fit a 3120xp

Can't comment on Logosol as I haven't used them but here are my pros and cons for Alaskan mills:

Pros: Quick to set up, cheap, can mill large logs (though larger bars can reduce accuracy of cut), quite well made generally, very portable and generally quite reliable.

Cons: As Rob says, U bolts can be a weakness (though since getting a few spare, the mostly threaded ones on the mill have hung on to dear life for months!), handle design isn't ideal (can cause the back of the mill frame to rise up, scoring the underside of the board) and getting a smooth entry/exit off the log takes a lot of practice.

One final observation regarding Alaskan mills is that they can all be made to work a little better with minor modifications such as:

* When using an auxiliary oiling system, it pays to drill out the hole in the oiling bolt so that more oil can flow. Otherwise it's too easily blocked. Also, the pipe from the auxiliary oil tank doesn't fit that securely on the bolt, so use a cable tie. Finally, the jubilee clip holding the tank to the mill can break, so get some gaffa tape involved!

* When using the EZ rail system, ensure you screw down into the log as well as using the dogs and bolts. You have two pairs of threaded holes for the bolts - use one for the bolts and one for the screws.

* When using longer bars, get a second handle and clip for the throttle. Both hands on the mill result in much easier milling.

I've now milled over a thousand cubic foot of timber with my Alaskan, and it's a great tool. I will get a bandsaw next year, but there will still be many many occasions where the Alaskan will be brought out.

Jonathan

I use a logosol m7 sawmill. pros- good results (accurate and good finish),no strain when milling as chainsaw is cranked along guide-rail at a comfortable working height. cons-hassle to transport&set-up. Also,though the log bed is designed to take up to 500 kg timber and up to 60 cm diameter logs it can be a bit challenging getting anything close to this onto the log bed in the first place!

Large logs first need slabbing with a big mill lsg or alaskan mill to make handling more practical (which can also be the case with much more expensive band-saw mills).

I have a big mill and a M7 woodworkers mill.

Got the M7 when l got access to a woodland that has footpaths through it. As milling with the big mill was fine, but there was a risk factor of not being able to tape off well enough to keep dogs away from the saw.

M7 give a better working hight spent a lot of time on the floor when using the big mill.

Seeing l had a big mill l did not need to purchase a guide bar when l got the M7 as the part was interchangeable.

There are a lot of accessories for the logsol that means you can develop your mill as you requirements change.

I had a Logosol for many years powered by a 395XPG which we used for horrible shaped lengths that would not transport back to base but the wood was too good to log up for firewood. Ideal for access/use in diffcult work sites.

If you make unusual furniture/turn bowls/make chopping/cheese boards the Logosol is fine for decent hardwood slabs so long as there are no branch stubs left on.

We have done Yew/Ash/Elm/Sycamore/Oak/Holly both in private gardens and small woodlands.