Anybody live in a Caravan ?

J.D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn;t think about that, never even crossed my mind, i'm gonna have to check that bit out.

Cheers

You need planning for anything if the land is not residential. I know this from experience of my own battles with planners and our home which started as a caravan.

Just going back to the stoves for a minute - and the KP link - they guy who runs Windy Smithy, and who designed and makes the stoves that KP totally ripped off by the looks of it, "wishes they made a better job of them" as many people assume they're his stoves instead. He also says they can also be a tad sketchy on installation advice!

The originals can be purcahsed from Jon at Windy Smithy

Cheers,

Andy

HI all I live in a small old static caravan full time have done for about 6 years now .

Its a wonderfull way of life even though now my toilet is frozen over and the pipes are frozen up so have to get water in from outside I live very high up on the mendips so its really winter for us up there a couple of years ago we had waist hight snow up there. that was interesting fun

Its a great way of life it takes a little bit of work but its worth it I would never want to own a house morgage or have a heavy rent to pay so its perfect.

some basic advice for your first van make sure the floor is sound and its free from mold and damp up the walls .an awaning is very good makes life easyier.

All the best

Littletree:thumbup:

Lived in a 28ft static for 4 years while I built our house. Can be a bit cold and heat retention is a big problem. Like the last post, make sure the floor is sound and insulate it from the underside.

Another option is to get a portacabin and kit it out yourself. They tend to be better constructed and insulated. Just a thought.

Just going back to the stoves for a minute - and the KP link - they guy who runs Windy Smithy, and who designed and makes the stoves that KP totally ripped off by the looks of it, "wishes they made a better job of them" as many people assume they're his stoves instead. He also says they can also be a tad sketchy on installation advice!

The originals can be purcahsed from Jon at Windy Smithy

Cheers,

Andy

The Windy Smithy ones are very nice but do come at a price - the KP ones may be a bit less refined round the edges but the price is a lot more attractive.

Hi,

I lived in a 1968 Sprite for 2 years complete with gas lights and a wood burner made from an old gas bottle and an alu flu from mr scrappy.

Then I bought a Bailey Senator. Luxury for 8 years.

Then a house owning phase.

Last year I bought another Senator for 8K and hope to live in it for 2/3 winters to save €€€ AND I pay no rent as I DO for madam rennie.

Its warm. Its dry with an awning and decking.

One big bottle of propane is good for 3 weeks+ and costs €70.

Lasts all summer though. Say €500 on gas a year.

Water may freeze and holes need to be dug for the loo waste but if you strip off before you enter leaving your boots outside and ventilate then caravans are a great form of accomodation.

Best of luck!