Anybody live in a Caravan ?

J.D

Its never cold in winter with a burner, I have to have the door open till I run the fire down last thing at night, its too hot otherwise. Makes sense when you think about it as you only have to heat a small space, people in houses can never get their head around that I'm warmer than they are, no matter what the winter throws at us.

Are the stoves in the link above what you were thinking of ?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We posted at the same time there:001_smile:

Not naive to get something with shower and toilet in at all, probably just more expensive. I,ve never had shower and toilet in mine but the first four of my nine years were in spain where it was hot which makes a difference. then a year on campsites in wales then at my current secret location which allows me access to shower and loo.

I'm just thinking that the type of dwelling vehicle becomes an issue here. If its a big thing like a static you may be able to get plumbed into your neighbouring property, but the council may frown. You could try to sell it as an office building in terms of permissions.

If you start with a chemical loo, you still need to empty it. The long drop is usually preferred, in my overseas experience, but here in a yard near a house, I'm not so sure.

Theres lots to think about but a bit of forward planning will save you time in the end. Off mains living is labour intensive, I still have to fetch water for cups of tea etc and cooking. I've actually fetched water from up to 2 kilometres away on foot in my time, so a little thought in advance will make life easier in the long run

Theres always old touring caravans going cheap if you're in the right place at the right time

I've had 3, the current one was the most expensive, it cost £20 :laugh1:

Also folks usually give statics away for free so long as you arrange your own transport

I think you need planning for statics though? Maybe there is a time limit?

I would say get something cheap/free, fit a woodburner, if its still cold bodge some insulation on the outside

Theres always old touring caravans going cheap if you're in the right place at the right time

I've had 3, the current one was the most expensive, it cost £20 :laugh1:

Also folks usually give statics away for free so long as you arrange your own transport

I think you need planning for statics though? Maybe there is a time limit?

I would say get something cheap/free, fit a woodburner, if its still cold bodge some insulation on the outside

Didn;t think about that, never even crossed my mind, i'm gonna have to check that bit out.

Cheers

Those are lovely stoves in the link, but I bet they're a bit pricey. My burner I'm using at the moment is from a Spanish hardware store for 40 euros, and my other stove is a Gaudin brick lined French jobby, picked up for 50 quid, but its too hot for my wee caravan.

Fitting is easy, just cut a hole in the roof and fabricate 2 plates about 1 foot 6 inch square for it to poke thru, one inside one outside. Sealed with stove gumph.

There's a lot of options with stoves, so will give it some thought. There may be someone on here who can knock you up a gas bottle one.

On the planning front you have 2 options. For a static you will have to get it checked out, depending on how many neighbours there are. If only the one , who is your tenant, it may be worth the risk.

Two and the preferrred one, is to stick your touring caravan on its site and see if you get kicked out. I have had no problems at my current location in a touring thing with no permission. You only get the problems travellers get if theres more than one of you.

Even on campsites there is a limit by law of so many days, but some rural farmer type places will ignore this rule.

On the planning front you have 2 options. For a static you will have to get it checked out, depending on how many neighbours there are. If only the one , who is your tenant, it may be worth the risk.

Two and the preferrred one, is to stick your touring caravan on its site and see if you get kicked out. I have had no problems at my current location in a touring thing with no permission. You only get the problems travellers get if theres more than one of you.

Even on campsites there is a limit by law of so many days, but some rural farmer type places will ignore this rule.

Looks like its gonna be the touring caravan route, too many nosey, meddling bloody neighbours around to risk the static I think.

i lived in one, if you live buy your self a small caravan is easier to heat and make a skirt around the bottom of it to stop some of the heat loss out through the floor, use propane gas as butane freezes easly, a wall of straw bales will stop some of the wind chill

Will the wall of straw not be a fire risk mate ?