What Chain Oil??

Parker

Have to say, when I've used veg oil from Tescos coz I forgot the normal stuff :blushing::001_rolleyes: it ran very well in an 023 and pole saw.

I was told that veg oil would eventually bugger the pump up, especially if it started to wax in cold conditions. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Bump!

Anyone?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too sure on veg oil but if the saws run regularly and you occasionally run a little diesel through mixed with little standard oil to flush the pump it should be fine...

As with bio oils, keep running the saw and keep it clean...

I use Stihl Bio Oil and the pump on my 460 gummed up and was a bugger to dismantle and clean, I've ended up keeping it as a spare and getting a new one...

Admittedly it had been left for some time without being run, learn from my mistake ;)

Clarks do a "super tack" Bio oil for £45 inc VAT...

I thought I'd only ever use Stihl with having a Stihl saw but then when it came to price I took note of my better judgement...

After all I use Husky 2 stroke so why not another oil for the chain...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we've tried straight veg oil the last three days and the saws (MS180, MS 250 and 036) seem to run fine. Bars and chains are cleaner than normal, all looks excellent. Cutting green chestnut though so may be a different story on a bit of dry beech.

The bio oil will probably be better for him as it's vegetable based and not mineral based...

I think him throwing up may be better than having the "runs"...

If he's scoffing lots of saw dust he may just be trying to "clean" his stomach...

What does he eat? If it's mainly protein they do do it from time to time with wood or grass...

• 4 months later...

I had 25 litres of oregon mineral bar oil and 25 lit of bio. Just finished using the bio through the winter on the processor. I thought they both performed the same flowing ok in cold weather. The bio makes a bit of a sticky mess around the cover on the bar. Bio smells nicer and probably better for your skin. I get a feeling sometimes of having little splinters in my hands but it could be a reaction to diesel and mineral oil. I dont seem to get this when working the processor. We will see in the next few weeks as the tank is getting cleaned and filled with normal oregon this morning.

I've run veg oil exclusively for the past 12 months in saws ranging from 200t to 460.

I've not had any problems with pumps or excessive bar wear but have noticed that I run out of chain adjustment before I run out of cutter links. Going on this evidence then then veg oil can't be lubricating the chain pins/rivets as well as a dedicated chain oil.