Winter tyres?

redmoosefaction

I recently put a pair of mud + snow tyres on the back wheels of my Transit, they seem a bit better but I haven't really tested them yet

Mine are made by Collins, Polish I think, they're retreads

if you read the blurb you will find that it is recomended to change all four tyres and not just two. the winter tyres will grip the road better and if you have to brake hard the non winter tyres will break out and you are more prone to skidding.

i recomend getting some Snow Socks. these are quicker and easier to put on than chains and dont do any damage to your tyres.

Dont know about vans, but I always put winter tyres onto my 10 year old, rear wheel drive BMW. They make a huge difference and I can regularly get around in the snow better than FWD cars.

However, as already mentioned, the rubber compound is softer and will wear quickly over the summer and the more aggressive tread profile will increase your fuel consumption.

I generally run them November to March...

They dont cover my area!!! :thumbdown:

Jim

what do you run on the rear of your transit in this weather?

I'm toying with the idea of putting some snow tyres on the back of mine but not convinced they will make that much difference.

nearly got stuck up a 3 mile farm track yesterday. 1 hour with shovel got me out...just.

I dont know if this information is true or not, but was informed by another tree surgeon that put BF Goodridge AT on his cabstar, that the amount of weight ie loading the truck with logs etc was reduced as the side walls were not as ridgid on the BF compared to the manufactures specified tyres. true or not i dont know, but if anyone is looking to change might be worth asking, the fitters as it may invalidate insurance as we know what sneeky people they are.

Hope this info helps having much experience driving various vehicles in winter conditions including in the Norwegian mountains.

Small Vehicles/Vans/4x4's:-

Nokian WRC Cargo

Hakkapeliitta LT

Vredestein Snow+ (Classic)

Vredestein Snotrac 2 and 3

Conti Winter Contact TS 830

Cooper Discoverer M+S

Trucks:-

Nokian Truck E

Nokian Noktop 41 Stud

Bandag GP

Bandag BDR-W

Conti HDW

Conti MIL

Tractors including Unimogs are difficult to find tyres for but worth looking at the Nokian TRI and TRI2 and MPT Agile.

Snow tyres must be the same on each axle and should be on all wheels. Vans and trucks will need the load versions. Some can have studs installed at the place of production.

Edited by TRADITIONAL LOGGERS
More info