Are there palm trees in the UK?

• 3 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi I am new here

I have been growing palms in London since 1984 and even appeared on a gradening show called 'Dig' in 1990.

You can grow a miriad of palms in the Ukm, depending on your micro climate.

Here in london, we are starting to see palms of all kinds reaching maturity. This cold snap has seen some of the coldest temepratures since 1991 (when I lost a mature phoenix canariensis) Today, the same palms are untouched....

I will attach a picture of the maturing Phoenix Palms in Diana's Garden at Kensington Gardens.

Trachycarpus.f palms are very very hardy. The first to be planted in the 1700's soon after discovery by Robert Fortune, are still thriving next to the main gates at Kew Gardens.

Cordyline australis (not a palm, but often reffered to as teh Cornish Palm) is a good indicator of climate. They are very common in London. when I was young they would be knocked to ground level every few winters and therefore you never got to see the more mature branched examples. Now, they are never effected this. even by this cold snap and very tall branched examples are all over the shop!

Palms that are becoming much common in London: Sabals, Butias, Thrinax, Chamearops, Jubea and Parajubea , Livistonia, Brahea et al.

This is a great forum BTW :)

357ikr6.jpg

dewfaf.jpg

Edited by mulattokid

Are there palm trees in the UK?

I know for fact there are about 20 at Logan gardens on the south west coast of Scotland, in total.....there is probably less than 100 in the whole of Scotland.

Britain's most northerly palms in Thurso I believe - the north coast of Scotland staring at the Orkneys. It's down to the Gulf Stream, just like with Logan.