advice needed!

Davi

Hello all,

I’ve been recommended to come on here and ask for your help as I have been told there is a fountain of knowledge between all the members on this site. I am DESPERATLY trying to get a tree surgery job abroad!! I have been working within the industry for just over 3 years now since leaving the army (almost 2 grounding and 1 climbing); I have all the relevant NPTC qualifications as I attended the 10 week course at Merriswood in 2009. I have been told that Sweden is an exciting place to work but all of the vacancy adverts advertise for "experienced climbers". Although i am not (what my old boss would call ) a "tea boy" anymore i would not class myself as an experienced climber as yet. I have a high work ethic, good references, common sense and I am keen to listen and learn everything I possibly can to improve.

I’d be very grateful if anybody knew of a company that would consider someone like me or just point me in the right direction.

i am not in Sweden but i am an employer, make yourself into a package, if someone came to me wanting work i want to know certain things.

1 Are you an alright guy?

2 Are you honest and polite?

3 Are you any good?

4 will you make me any money?

5 how much do you want paid?

Employers, boss's are just everyday guys that have usually been in this game for a while and been there done that, the longer they have traded the more guys they will have come across and the more carefull they will be of letting someone into their lives, and as an employer that is what you are doing.

I think in this day and age, a video CV is the way forward. A camera phone one of you walking up to a tree and felling it, snedding it, and generally comunicating. Guys that know the job well can tell from 30 seconds the skill level and persona of a person and if they think they will fit in.

Also, if your ability is quite basic but what you do is well thought out and safe and carried out professionally then this is better than someone aimlessly crashing limbs onto the deck.

Good luck.:thumbup1:

Prenty good advice there. State-side you may need to consider ISA Certified Arborist, European Tree Worker is becoming popular on the continent, get awarded one and you can apply for the other without sitting the exam.

Do not under estimate your abilities and know where to watch and learn.

Arb jobs may be able to help, persoally this time of year try NZ & OZ, Treescape in NZ are an incredible outfit.

i think a few of the bigger companies here in nz now want to see what you can do before signing you up, before they would take you on your word and offer you a contract based on what you said. Sending some short vids would be a real good idea. I know Asplundh are also looking for climbers and maybe flying to the uk soon to do some interviews. Once you get yaself to NZ though, youll get a job with an arb company pretty easy from the sounds of it.