Anyone interested in re-selling briquettes?

County4x4

Hi Pete,

The biggest problem we have is getting people to try them in the first place. I'd be the first to hold my hand up and say "they don't look like much for the money" - 'cos they don't.

It's all about perception though. A full 100 packs of our briquettes will occupy less than a cubic metre. At the same time, those 100 packs will provide the same energy as up to four tonnes of average air dried logs. It's a bit like putting a housebrick sized lump of reactor fuel next to a pile of twigs - a poor comparison perhaps but you get my gist. A single pallet of briquettes will see most people through the winter - how many cubes of logs would you need to do the same? If you look at them in terms of energy they will probably work out a fair bit cheaper than logs in real terms.

I know nets of logs are more expensive usually - but I can't really compare with logs in bulk as we don't buy them - briquettes are just too simple and convenient! But on a camping trip in the summer, the rest of the site were using nets from the farmer at £4 a net. Those that could get them to burn on their camp fires were going through about three nets over the evening, and most of them were sitting in a cloud of smoke all night. We took our own briquettes and used less than a single pack in the same time, and had a much hotter and smokeless fire. In a stove where you can control the air supply, they are even more efficient.

We have plenty of customers who have gone to briquettes exclusively now, including many on boats who were using coal previously. Many of them report using two or three briquettes for a whole evening in a stove at home, and with the best will in the world, you couldn't do the same with logs.

Anyway mate, I'll email you the information that I've sent to everyone else, and if you'd like some samples, please see my post above. I'm sorry I can't afford to send free stuff out to every enquiry, but if I did I probably wouldn't be here!

Cheers for now,

Andy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you get a longer hotter burn with briquettes, due to their density??

I have a log burning pool heater, which I just use my own logs on, but if briquettes give a longer burn, they would be great for keeping it in over night.

I'm sure the same would be true for many who use stoves to heat their homes.

Yes you do Skyhuck - I'm not personally a fan of overnighting stoves due to the mess it leaves for me to remove from peoples chimneys - but quite a few of our boat customers like to keep their stoves in as they have no other form of heating on the boat. Bearing in mind that these are pretty small stoves, usually 5kW tops, with small fireboxes, they can keep briquettes in overnight without much of a problem. I generally advise land based customers against slumbering their stoves - boats are different in that their chimneys are only about six feet long so no problem to knock out all the rubbish fairly regularly.

The difference with our briquettes is that they form an ember exactly the same size and shape as the briquette, and they still have a lot of heat to give out once the flames die down. With almost all the other briquettes on the market, this doesn't happen, and while they offer good output in the early stages, once the flames die down this output falls away quite rapidly

Having said all that though - on the basis that free is always better - I don't know if I'd expect you to pay for briquettes if you have hundreds of tons of frewood lying around! Personally I think I'd probably just light the boiler in the morning and run it hard for a while!

Cheers,

Andy

Having said all that though - on the basis that free is always better - I don't know if I'd expect you to pay for briquettes if you have hundreds of tons of frewood lying around! Personally I think I'd probably just light the boiler in the morning and run it hard for a while!

Cheers,

Andy

True, but the fire box on the pool heater is not huge, so keep it in over night or while I'm out working could be good.

Also others with pool heaters could a a market for you, as the look of the fuel is of no concern, its all about efficiency.