Starting a buisness- some advice!

Will

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't understand why some of you are so against self employment (plus some subbing naturally)

how did your companies get where they are today with that atitude?

Are you self employed? most of us started up years ago , when we could earn a half decent crust, these days prices are getting lower not higher, I work well over 60 hours a week, my hourly rate is less than my employe! most company owners if they could, would sell their biz and jump into a well paid job at the drop of a hat!

I hate listerning to blokes whine about the boss, they all seem to think its a life of luxury being the boss, now i've got to go , i've a load of risk assesments, and health and safety chit to do for tomorrows job, it will only take me a few hours..:cussing:

Excuse me for ranting , but! Anyway welcome to the forum Greenpaint..:icon14:

roller.

yes i am self employed.

I guess i'm one of these 'new guys' that make you so angry.

a couple of points for you

I worked my ass off for two years for other companies and i DID NOT moan about the money because I knew i was a rookie and apreciated the overheads

Paid for my own tickets cause alot of companies can't afford £1200

For the last year I've set up, advertised, insured, geared up, subbed and accounts and yes small companies do risk assesments aswell!

one of the reasons prices have dipped over the years is because of competion. Maybe if you down sized you could charge a more realalistic, competitive price which is exactly what i try to maintain

If you've been in the biz for years then 'types' like me will be where you are years from now moaning about the little upstarts nipping at my heals

thanks for the welcome

i don't understand why some of you are so against self employment (plus some subbing naturally)

how did your companies get where they are today with that atitude?

I agree with rolla, that it's a lot harder nowadays to start up and survive, unless you're bringing a lot of stuff in (eg. free use of land, sheds, gear, or money from parents or otherwise. But I think that the main reason a lot of us self employed are "against" self employment is that we've seen so many - either employees or on these forums - with not that much experience think that they're going to walk straight in to self employment and make a mint. It's not often like that, especially if you look at how much you're earning per hour. I get the feeling that some people look at what a company charges per day and think that the boss keeps it all, after paying staff. Well, we don't. Everyone who's worked for me and reckoned they were going to set up on their own, are still employees somewhere else.

I agree with rolla, that it's a lot harder nowadays to start up and survive, unless you're bringing a lot of stuff in (eg. free use of land, sheds, gear, or money from parents or otherwise. But I think that the main reason a lot of us self employed are "against" self employment is that we've seen so many - either employees or on these forums - with not that much experience think that they're going to walk straight in to self employment and make a mint. It's not often like that, especially if you look at how much you're earning per hour. I get the feeling that some people look at what a company charges per day and think that the boss keeps it all, after paying staff. Well, we don't. Everyone who's worked for me and reckoned they were going to set up on their own, are still employees somewhere else.

please read what i wrote. i'm totally agreeing with you about companies charging what they have to charge.

what i fined strange is the general lack of enthusiasm for young and new people starting out. If you don't have that in an industry then there will be problems in the future.

and yes quickthorn I have a second income (wedding/conference band...) and a free small plot of land but you need a little jump up in the beginning right?

lts probably not the best time in the world to start a business i know but when is

I think people that have been in the industry a while, and have seen it change, are just being realistic about the current situation, and how they see things progressing in the future.

I have to say, after ten years in the biz, as employed and self employed, I wouldnt recommend trees as a business to get into to anyone, not because I dont want the competition, just because its getting harder and harder by the year to remain compliant with legislation, keep the customers happy, the employees paid, and lastly, ha ha, turn a profit.

25 years in this business- i must whole heartedly aggree wilth Roller and Quickthorn- Gotta work a damn site harder for your money nowerdays

what are you agreeing with exactly...

that no one should start up in the industry.

that you should be able to charge what you did ten tears ago

interesting

what are you agreeing with exactly...

that no one should start up in the industry.

that you should be able to charge what you did ten tears ago

interesting

Originally Posted by J The Tree

25 years in this business- i must whole heartedly aggree wilth Roller and Quickthorn- Gotta work a damn site harder for your money nowerdays

chill

I Reakon he means what he said Harder work for the money earnt !