General Tree pics

Andy Collins

How ironic that a yank should be so dead set against topping when they're more than happy to wear spikes (spurs) to "thin" (trim). I personaly think that what rowan has done is acceptable if the clients alternative was to remove the tree. Would you rather leave the tree, which the client obviously values, let it fall apart and then firewood the rest, or try and retain it for as long as possible. Sometimes leaving it alone is not possible.

How ironic that a yank should be so dead set against topping when they're more than happy to wear spikes (spurs) to "thin" (trim).

And where have you drawn this assumption, Large dog? The same place you've drawn the assumption that the tree was gonna "fall apart?" I don't wear hooks when I trim. Do YOU?

I don't like rules; there are too many exceptions. As arborists we need to be able to use all of our knowledge to preserve and maintain trees.

However, I do agree with Butch on the coronet cuts. Dave

Dave, do you mean generaly, or with Rowan's Turkey oak specifically in mind.

Appologies for reposting these pictures, although last one is a recent update, and i think of relevance to the recent posts.

Quercus x hispanica "fulhamensis"

First, Autumn 07

Second, Winter 07/08

Third, Summer 08.

Every single branch worked on, fractured and coronetted.

True, we may need to wait a few years to see the overall picture, but looks fit and healthy to me.

P6170017.jpg.dc708c857c137745423ccd4c4fb8d659.jpg

P1240019.jpg.575d3ce89f14669c2e99f8a540111e48.jpg

PB060017.jpg.7cfd9ba1b649b08b3de4173e75222026.jpg

worked in your beautiful country for a while mb, thats why i know. I also know there are many differences in the way our industry is practised to yours. Mainly through the fact that your country has considerably more trees than ours and our sense of retention is much greater than yours. We also don't employ salesmen on comission to sell clients tree work.

P.s Mb, seeing as your 5000 miles away i doubt if you knew weather or not the tree was going to split either. And looking at the pics of your trims, maybe you should wear hooks, might help you get a little further out on those branches.

Dave, do you mean generaly, or with Rowan's Turkey oak specifically in mind.

Every single branch worked on, fractured and coronetted.

True, we may need to wait a few years to see the overall picture, but looks fit and healthy to me.

David, I don't believe coronet cuts to be in the best interest of a living tree.

The tree in the picture you posted, if I recall, had a compromised root system (structural issues?) with potential targets. So a reduction was required. However, that reduction could have been achieved without the coronet cuts. Reduced by standard practices the tree would have experienced the same benefits of weight reduction and wind load reduction while at the same time enhancing its chances of compartmentalization and subsequent healing which would have also prolonged its life in its setting.

All this and maintaining the original beauty of the tree. To say that the tree appears hale and hearty doesn't buy much justification. Many topped and whacked trees live through it.

I like innovation. I like thinking outside the box. And I think coronet cuts look fantastic in the right situation....which is a dead tree in a natural environment.

Dave