Greenmech 13-23 or Timberwolf 125

Tree Man Tom

No need to need to be obnoxious. The Chipper is effectively the same as the TW150 same feed hopper etc but with a 20 hp Honda seems to perform much better than the old B&S engine that was on the yellow entec's. Only my opinion mind but have been chipping conifer for several days and hasn't blocked once,

they never had b&s engines on them from new ,you must have got 1, with a micky mouse replacment as they are some what cheaper ,& crap :biggrin:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Woodland, I was not trying to be offensive to you, but, having been around machinery for some 28 years, I do know a thing or two.

The engine has little or no influence on the ejecting of conifer brash from a woodchipper - it is all in the cutting mechanism and the air blast generated by the chipper flywheel that gets rid of the chips. Wether it be the fans or the speed, or the air "in" or air "out" and so on, the engine only drives the rotor shaft and very little else. (put a big engine in and that will help but only because it does not slow down).

From memory, a GM shifts considerably more air (in a given time) than the TW which should ensure that the chips/mush get ejected quicker and further.

You said they had improved, I asked how?

Sorry Woodland, I was not trying to be offensive to you, but, having been around machinery for some 28 years, I do know a thing or two.

The engine has little or no influence on the ejecting of conifer brash from a woodchipper - it is all in the cutting mechanism and the air blast generated by the chipper flywheel that gets rid of the chips. Wether it be the fans or the speed, or the air "in" or air "out" and so on, the engine only drives the rotor shaft and very little else. (put a big engine in and that will help but only because it does not slow down).

From memory, a GM shifts considerably more air (in a given time) than the TW which should ensure that the chips/mush get ejected quicker and further.

You said they had improved, I asked how?

Sorry mate I misunderstood:001_tongue: Makes sense I guess, one one of the thing's I found though with old petrol machines was that the stress control didnt seem to kick in fast enough if you were chipping wet mulchy leaves or conifer. But the 125 is far more responsive and it seems to cope far better than its predecessor. giving the machine a chance to clear debris before more material comes through

Fairplay Woodland, no worries.

Both TW and GM have changed how the no stress device cuts in and at what rpm, that is what makes the difference - not the engine.

The base design of the TW has not changed in many, many years.

Hi Guys I replaced my tw 125 with the new GM 13 23 in June 2010 had a demo from Mike Lidster.

The chipper out performs the TW the blades are great they last four times longer than TW blades.

Great chipper and would definitely recommend the GM.

• 1 month later...

They are both good machines - and it's natural for owners to praise the one they have - we all think we know best.

I converted from a TW 25hp 6" chipper to a GM 13-23 (34hp turbo) in April this year.

It's a BEAST! It will pull through pretty big stuff and snap off larger side branches than the old TW.

I can also say it has NEVER blocked - it even does cordylines with a bit of care.

The TWs are good (I had mine for 6 years and loved it) but the GMs are better.

I hope for TW's sake they sort out those flimsy flywheel bearings or they will get left behind.

Final point - at under 750 KG I suspect the Quad chip will become very popular.