Just wondered are there any female arborist out there ?

sasha.p

Wow thats a really good response i already have two saws small one for small stuff bigger one for larger logs i work with and i have all my kit there is a course advertised at a college local to me Coleg Gwent Online - im not sure if this would be the right course to start on? I actually know an old lecturer who has his own business he used to teach at the college doing the same courses but i have not seen him for a few months to stop and ask and bring up the subject, but after listening to you guys i think i should follow what i feel i would enjoy doing i am physically fit not big though but i have found ways around dealing with the wood i cut that is extra heavy and awkward like you say,one of neighbours remarked as he had a huge oak tree land on the river bank behind his house and his neighbour enquired about it for firewood but he remembered speaking to me before about the wood and knew i was looking out for firewood so gave me a shout and turned the neighbour down and he was suprised when i turned up on his door with my ms391 and my kit prepared to take it away and he was suprised when i did it which to be honest his neighbour would of never managed.I enjoy being outdoors and wildlife and nature and i enjoy doing my firewood i hate being couped up inside and think there is nothing worse than being stuck indoors doing a job ,i have two young sons the youngest will be starting school full time next sept so i am looking really for somthing that i guess i could work on until then and continue with afterwards .i think that college course is only 1 week and one day exam and im not sure what sort of work i would be able to do after that i guess there is a lot of licences etc involved with felling and maintaining trees and i understand most of the whole tpo business etc i would love a job forestery or somthing like that but i think i have a lot to learn first though .Thanks all im glad to know really im not the only woman who has an interest in this stuff most of my mates think im crazy but are all behind me on it and think im more than capable so i guess i should give it a go and see :)i feel all excited at the thought now lol

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bumped in a lady in a pub in Totnes last year who worked for a tree company down that way. Of course I tried to flog her some software ...:laugh1:

It is not every day you are standing enjoying a pint of Jail when a lass walks in her overalls and lets you buy her a pint of cider :thumbup1:

That was one of those nights of good craic - completely innocent. Started the evening not knowing a sole in the bar finished a good few pints later having a great laugh with a few new drinking buddies.

In fact I'm down that way again in a few weeks:beerglass:

Only known of one woman doing tree work in my ten years in the biz. I was running a

big contract job last year and we got in some hired help in and one of them was a woman. Her name was Vicki, she was a proper grafter! She kept up with the rest of the lads,felled and dragged like a good un. She couldnt lift all the logs up into the wagon but she was trying her best and that was good enough for me. I got her a job with a friend of mine down south and she is still there.

Get stuck in and you'll go far girl!

Good luck

Edited by big fell!
typo

i have met and assessed several female tree girls approx 10

TBH they have always been good not sure if they had a bit more to prove but they gave it their all

Attention to detail was always better than the guys

though i reckon i tell if it,s a woman starting a saw from 100 yrds not sure why they are just different.

I still put it down to effort exerted

Just do it! I know and use two female Arbs (both climbers, one has comps under her belt), a female competition winning hedge layer and my wife that likes taking out the chipper or grinder for a quick spin when not doing the pay role, children, etc and other multi-tasking stuff you lot do.

Ps all the girls that I have employed all work harder/smarter than alot of blokes (maybe with less muscle) but just as good.:thumbup1:

I am completely inspired to do it especially by little tree its nice to hear from somebody who is actually in that situation ,I guess another question i should ask is what sort of living could i make from doing it would it depend on what contracts and stuff i manage to get ?also how long would it take to do my tickets?and what ones are there somebody i spoke to yesterday mentioned there are different ones like climbing etc but im not sure how correct they are also are there many jobs in this line of work out there?just wondering how i would go about getting employed by somebody i could learn more from and gain more experience .thanks all

I've seen a saw wielding woman working in the Colchester area a couple of times. My first boss' wife used to ground for him when he started out, and I've a friend whose partner used to help him out. So if you are game for it, I'd say go, it can be tough going though, may need to 'butch' up a bit :thumbup1:

I think the female in Colchester was working for landsure landscaping and she was from Eastern Europe. There are a couple working for them and they are built like Russian shot putters!

I'd say go for it as otherwise u'll never know!!!I am a female arb on the wrong side of 35 who decided to change my career and go to college to get my NCH Arb a couple of years ago.Out of the 25 students that started I was the only girl but by the end of the course won the end of year shield 4 top student in both practical and written much to some of my fellow classmates disgust some men still can't bear to be beaten by a women especially in a male orientated trade lol.

I agree with Littletree that women do bring a different set of qualities to Arb and going out there and getting experience is the way forward and being fit is a definate advantage.

I was aprehensive at first but have been welcomed into the trade both while getting my qualifications and in the industry as long as you can do the job then gender really hasn't been an issue for me.

I'd say go for it it'sthe best thing I have ever done:-)

Good luck