warning signs?

Hello everyone,

I hope this is in the right place, I'm seeking some advice about warning signs.

I have a job coming up which will involve cutting small trees (below 10") and spraying the stumps with glyphosate. There is a footpath running nearby to where I will be working, so I want to put up a couple of signs. Are the Warning - Forest Operations signs adequate, or do I need one for both spraying and tree cutting?

Also, where is the best place to get some signs from?

cheers,

Joe

I normally put up a Forest Opperations about 5 tree lengths out from the edge of the site on the footpath. Then i put tree felling in progress out a little closer say 2.5 3 lenghts out.

I don't do any spraying work but i think it would be best to advise people that your doing it. I'd give your local rights of way a ring see what they want. That makes sure you're all clear then. I think i've gotten all my signs from Buxtons but all the supplyers on the side should sell them.

thanks a lot, yes the public will be walking fairly close to the area sprayed. Not a very heavily used footpath, but still need to take it into consideration.

I'll put up Forest Operations signs on either end of the path, and then spraying ones closer to the work site. Very little of the stuff coming down is classed as felling (max 10", most of it 4-8" diameter) so I think I'll be alright with that one.

cheers,

Joe

With each stump cut an inch thich disk off the top of each one. Use a drill or chainsaw to cut a hole/grove in each stump. Fill the hole/ grove with the glyphosate mix, and nail the disk back onto the stump. Now you do not have to worry about the public coming into contact with the glyphosate, and therefore no signs. :thumbup:

I use Glyphosate where i work and although you hear lots of bad press about it. It is only harmful to plants. The only way it can harm a person or animal is if they drink large quantities of it neat (or so ive heard). I use it both neat and in a mix and we use it neat on the stumps. What species of tree is it that you are cutting down?

I use Glyphosate where i work and although you hear lots of bad press about it. It is only harmful to plants. The only way it can harm a person or animal is if they drink large quantities of it neat (or so ive heard). I use it both neat and in a mix and we use it neat on the stumps. What species of tree is it that you are cutting down?

glyphosate is round up right?

I remeber reading the label on tea break and read to kill someone you have to drive 5l per kg of body wieght. so you can litterally drink the stuff and not die (yet im sure it would make the toilet a bit messy)

Other than the usual forest op's etc, if your worried about public access make up a sign yourself in A4 and get it laminated explaining stumps have been treated and use a barrier tape (i prefer red and white, as i think the yellow and black looks like a police barrier :) ) to exclude people for a week after application,