Tree survey software and technology

Arborowen

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just having a quick play around with it and for a student who justs wants to have a mess around its perfect! It uploads to a spreadsheet so saves time, can be used offline and is easy to customize.

As said before the only problem is mapping, you can map onto a google map but you need internet and the detail is not great, if uploaded to a spreadsheet then it does come out with the co ordinates in a column but they are useless on there own, unless you want to copy and paste them into google maps for every tree!

Thanks

Jack

Not so jack, if you see my previous post a bit of Excel cunning and I Re formatted the output from one cell with two values, to two cells with one value in each. I did this for 120 trees in 2mins. Excel has a function to split cells with multiple values into single cells. You do this by telling excel what symbol separates them, (in this case a colon), then it does the rest.

Use http://www.gpsvisualiser.com to upload your formatted csv with the columns, Tree no. Latitude and longitude. Gps visualiser will then spit out a kml or KMZ file with your points. Easy. There is guidance on Google for cell value splitting and gps visualiser is stuffed with guidance on how to use.

The next battle would be suitable Android hardware. Probably shouldn't get into that here as it would be endless. However I use an old Nexus 7 with an Otterbox for for semi-waterproof rugged tablet action.

I'm still not comfortable walking around with a tablet. Feel like a bit of a twit. Plus in some places where trees are used for dog fighting training you might get mugged.

I've been umming and ahhhing about getting an Xperia Z tablet as I'm so impressed with the phone version. It's supposedly very accurate with its GPS and it is semi-waterproof with fastenings over any plug holes. Trying to justify the spend though over other tablets that are half the price.

Not so jack, if you see my previous post a bit of Excel cunning and I Re formatted the output from one cell with two values, to two cells with one value in each. I did this for 120 trees in 2mins. Excel has a function to split cells with multiple values into single cells. You do this by telling excel what symbol separates them, (in this case a colon), then it does the rest.

Use http://www.gpsvisualiser.com to upload your formatted csv with the columns, Tree no. Latitude and longitude. Gps visualiser will then spit out a kml or KMZ file with your points. Easy. There is guidance on Google for cell value splitting and gps visualiser is stuffed with guidance on how to use.

Please note: I can't edit this post anymore the link is wrong obviously because the Americans spell it differently this is the site you want to use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

This looks great, thanks arborowen. I have been looking for a good Android data collection app for a while and this seems to fit the bill. I've just downloaded it so haven't had time to work out how to configure a survey template with drop down lists yet, but it seems to be possible.

I like the GPS data entry with Google maps, very nice.

I've been umming and ahhhing about getting an Xperia Z tablet as I'm so impressed with the phone version. It's supposedly very accurate with its GPS and it is semi-waterproof with fastenings over any plug holes. Trying to justify the spend though over other tablets that are half the price.

I have that tablet. It's really good but unfortunately I can't find any decent cases like the otterbox stuff that will fit it. It may well be rainproof already, but it ain't drop proof as a dent on one corner of mine proves.

To be honest I'll probably end up getting an ipad as the range of accessories is so good for them.