Tree survey software and technology

Arborowen

There are a number of factors you may wish to consider. There are solutions out there such as KeyTREE which really do cater well to handling the Crown & RPA details within the AutoCAD environment.

Feel free to PM / call me if you want to discuss in further detail :-)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment we don’t use tree software for data capture, but we are looking to purchase a Trimble Juno with ArcPad for field use. From here we’ve thought about downloading the tree position and attributes as a .shp file to ArcView (which we have & use) and from ArcView export into both AutoCAD as a DXF file for plans and into Excel for tree schedules. I’m no expert and am on a steep learning curve with all this but our IT man tells me that he can produce elliptical NESW crown spreads and circular RPAs in AutoCAD this way. Any comments on the feasibility of this method would be very welcome at this point (before any money is spent:laugh1:).

Cheers

all sounds fessable but allways be aware of IT types talking things up to be more than they are, im an IT type and its the constant rubbish that splurges from my mouth that confuses the hell out of people. im trying to learn to control it but sometimes i get excited :laugh1:

using a trimble juno to export to shp is quite straigh forward. however i would recomend Manifold for the beginer GIS type. one may still 'query the data' but in a far more straight forward method. ArcView is serious software. and you could be at risk of buying 1000s of pounds worth of software to use but only a smidgen of its ability.

I would say the simplest method: Juno+TrimbleTerraSync+GPS PAthfinder Office,(Desktop software to translate the trimble SSF files) +Manifold,(GIS tool).

i love it!

That's a good little invention!

Yes I just made a sample DB and it looks quite good. huge scope to create a bespoke DB and collect the data. many would pay for this service! it's likely that where it will go in the future. :-(

but very good app its also available for ipod/iphone

:thumbup:

I'm really impressed with the EpiCollect app v sweet:thumbup:

What level of accuracy though is one achieving with the GPS on his / her phone though? I'm using an HTC Desire. Is the level of acuracy available adequate for one's intended purpose? I know the GPS guys will probabaly say not :confused1:

As for the IT guys talking up the technology?? with techie speak and my Northern Irish accent people simply don't understand me at the best of times!!:blushing: However they aways understand fancy a pint?:beerchug:

It is rather cool. However I have just found one major issue. I just sat down and made an highly detailed bs5837 style template. And when loading it onto the software on my android nexus one. It crashes.

With regard to accuracy, gaps is pretty much accurate to around 7m in open clear conditions. But is far more susceptible to interferance. For increased accuracy I use an old Bluetooth gps reciever that I soldered together with a huge capacity battery. This is a 48hr Bluetooth gps monster that I use in conjunction with viewranger on my jailed iPod,(un jailed iPods don't support Bluetooth gps). But that's another story.

With a bluetooh gps receiver you still only get around 5-10m accuracy but is less susceptible to interferance. What we really need is an averaging script for this which take a measurement and works out an average over time. This is how companies like Trimble claim to have sub-meter accuracy, (this combined with land masts and differential correction)

I've also just remembered that there is another app that makes databases similar to this but is intended for wallets and litchis etc, try memento search for it on the Market place. I also use it to time manage my jobs and could be used to cost yourself to different contracts.

• 2 years later...
It is rather cool. However I have just found one major issue. I just sat down and made an highly detailed bs5837 style template. And when loading it onto the software on my android nexus one. It crashes.

Hi, We're having the same issue! I have just created my form i wish to use in epicollect for the using during 5837 surveys. It has loaded onto our Samsung tablet well enough but as soon as i want to put any data into it, the app just crashes 'Unfortunatly, EpiCollect has stopped'. This is incredibly frustrating seeing as our initial test forms worked a treat!

I know it was a long time ago but was wondering if you persisted with EpiCollect and found a way around this issue, or if not, what system you went over to?

We're a Consultancy firm which has traditionally used the paper and pen method but has just invested in a samsung android tablet and is hoping to use a relatively cheap app or program that allows for inputting of data and plotting trees onto aerial photographs.. EpiCollect looked perfect apart from this irritating glitch!

Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance!