Tree survey software and technology

Arborowen

• 7 months later...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've discovered a way to use an Android database app for Tree surveying. Super accurate and 100% customisable.

I've used my Nexus7 to do several surveys giving professional results. Even better none of this cloud/website rubbish. All the data is syncd to Google drive xls while you work. Which saves time writing up when your back in the office. Location data is added to each point by either using GPS(not great) or selecting the tree via Google satellite maps(100% accurate if you can orientate yourself).

I'm fairly confident no one has realised this excellent application of this particular app and so far I can't really see a flaw!

It's called memento database. And yes you sort of right the location outputs are.... None :-)

Basically the only output is a csv file. To get the location data to a usable format I duplicate the csv strip out the survey data split the single cell location data into two cell with one value in each then upload the csv to a website that converts it to KML. I can then import it to autoCAD etc.

The csv can be reformatted to a survey sheet in xls.

Done....

Did I just Un-sell it to everyone :-D I guess you could say the draw back is needing to know some other stuff. But there certainly isn't that much to fiddle with if you know what your doing.

1391803276729.jpg.b62a5f9cbb7ff35355975d153c69ca9f.jpg

1391803266192.jpg.22f5dc094ef0de2fe29af9c5c23c1516.jpg

1391803255760.jpg.1f5c23d020c93a5f3c63ba5c98ba0d6c.jpg

1391803241400.jpg.72f9f5232d358d5c220d76d252c52f5f.jpg

Edited by Arborowen

I've discovered a way to use an Android database app for Tree surveying. Super accurate and 100% customisable.

I've used my Nexus7 to do several surveys giving professional results. Even better none of this cloud/website rubbish. All the data is syncd to Google drive xls while you work. Which saves time writing up when your back in the office. Location data is added to each point by either using GPS(not great) or selecting the tree via Google satellite maps(100% accurate if you can orientate yourself).

I'm fairly confident no one has realised this excellent application of this particular app and so far I can't really see a flaw!

My mate from work showed me that you can edit maps on Google Maps. My mind was blown. Does the GPS on tablets count against any data usage or is it separate from data plans?

Two major points here:

First is that my final report wouldn't use Google earth or Google maps so no copyright issue. I'd use a vector OS tile purchased or the supplied topo or site plan in dxf supplied by client. The app just uses Google to visualise and record the location of trees.

Second: gps is pointless. Gps in devices like phones and tablets not to be used to try to capture Tree Location. You will fail 11 times out of 10. The database app uses Google maps to manually see what Tree you are standing next to and select it based on you Know ING where you are standing. I.E you can see the Crown of the tree and the building corner etc.

Unless you want to stand for ten minutes averaging every tree point. Or buy a trimble spike gps setup for 4k plus endless fiddling having to use Windows and then regretting it all.

This little DB setup is pretty sweet with relatively little tech knowledge.