Unconventional Fungi

David Humphries

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not today Tony, these were, yank the landy anchor, jump out, jump up the tree, shoot, down to the lower ones, back in the Landy.

All within 57 seconds :biggrin:

Trying to think of the needs of the team now days :001_rolleyes:

Having a play with the reflector when I can. :thumbup1:

Still haven't sent the Canon off yet. :blushing:

These gills look a little to dark to you?

Usually yellow first - cinamon when aged.

That's a very interesting grenade to chuck in there Neil :biggrin:

Haven't got adiposa in many of my references.

Host certainly fits, though the stipe looks a little out as these are pretty scaly all the way up, as opposed to adiposa which I thimk stop at the ring :confused1:

Mmmmmmmmm

Interesting that Phillips (US) shots (show it on what looks like Oak) but he references it on stumps of Beech.

Rogers Mushrooms - Pholiota adiposa Mushroom

Thanks for that link David, great to see the guide available free as an online resource, especially as i've just bought a new copy to replace my old misplaced guide:blushing:

Thanks for that link David, great to see the guide available free as an online resource, especially as i've just bought a new copy to replace my old misplaced guide:blushing:

No worries Ian,

how much did you pay for your new Phillips?

A colleague recently got the new smaller sized one for £11 off amazon.

Great book, and now good size as a field guide :thumbup1:

How about Pholiota squarosus at 4 metres?

A root decay parasite, predominantly of Ash/beech

[ATTACH]49441[/ATTACH][ATTACH]49442[/ATTACH]

now my knowledge of fungi id and bio mechanics leaves plenty to be desired but i'd like to throw a little something out there. i was looking at how the pholiota is growing out of that union and it got me thinking...... is it possible that as dirt and compost has collected in the union, could the stem have started throwing out little roots into this, thus the pholiota being up that high feeding off the new root system? if that makes sense!

by the way, nice thread dave. i feel this could spark some pretty interesting conversation:thumbup1:

I think that's a fine thread of thought Dave.

We were debating this earlier today at work.

There may well be advantitious rooting in soil/humus pockets at height.

Though I wouldn't of thought that there would be enough woody root for the mycelium to throw out that many fruit bodies.

Anyhoo, I can't believe the view out on to the Thames is so bad, that you have to turn to Myco banter.

How sad is that !

:biggrin:

IMG_8717.jpg.32ce68a540f53db9c3255667e5215fd7.jpg

Edited by Monkey-D

haha, ive definately got too much time to think up these crazy ideas! funny you should mention the river, a canal boat just went down it.( something different!)

back to the fungi, it will be interesting to hear peoples theorys on "misplaced fungi".