Am I just too old??

Jonty

Just turned 40 and enjoying the work more now than I did when I was younger. I have my days where I cant be arsed but generally speaking I get my weeks exercise in one day, I'm outdoors and I stay active. I also find I don't suffer so much from the neck and back pains I did when I was managing. If you feel young enough give it a crack. What have you got to lose?

• Like 2

A huge thanks to all who've replied it's greatly appreciated!:thumbup:

@Monkeypuzzle22: Thanks for the offer. Thanks to this forum I've been contacted by a local company offering a few days as a taster session.

Here's hoping it's for me!

Never too old. I posted exactly the same question here in May last year. I got 60 very helpful replies (great people on this forum) and went for it. I took CS38/39 (to go with previous CS30/31) in Dec 09 with Kingswood Training in Tonbridge. It was hard work but I loved every minute of it and once you've got confident and assimilated the knowledge you can start to relax and really see what you are capable of. I'm trying out new things and am still adjusting my style. Again the guys here are very helpful with tips and continuing advice.

I don't climb commercially but I climb frequently with my job with the National Trust. We do surveys, dead wooding and basic tree work. In addition we abseil into out quarry garden for various work tasks. I love this part of my job and wish I'd trained for it years ago. However, don't look back, look forward and go for it.

I am 43, with no excess flabbage and although it is hard on the joints at times it's better than sitting on one's arse in an office. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Hi Jonty

Go for it you are not to old I am not far off 40 and female and love every minute of it .I give chaps that are in there 20s a real run for there money .

Some days you might feel 40 after you have finished and you are hurting like hell and fall out of your van when you role back into your drive way after your day but you know you have earned your money and had fun along the way .

its the best fun you will ever have do CS38/39 as well then you will really start having fun . it will keep you fit for years to come and save you all your gym fees . Since starting in Arb and Pole climbing the gym ticket went out the window I get my workout every day either on the ground or up in the trees.

Every day i get to see a different garden and trees with different stuff to do O how much fun it is . Today It was 2 little orchards overgrown for 7 years nothing done to it, trees all mixed in everything you could not see the trees at all . my job was to restore it to its former glory and fix all the trees .

This beats working in some shop or office any day

Go for it life starts At 40 it will be the best years in your life

All the best Littltee:thumbup:

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 29/09/2010 at 13:20, Recceboy said:

I'm sure you will love the work.

I'm 32 and just moving into the industry from IT. Got a trial next week with a local company to me so if all goes well i could be kicking IT in the butt and looking forward to the long winter working outdoors.

How did it go ? 

I was 50 a few days ago. 

In 25 years only gained 3 kilos and wear the same trouser size as then.

I feel great, fit, strong but seem not to recover so fast as a 30 year old me.

I think even at 60 I should still be able to climb many simpler trees. For those I deem too much for my body there are 30 year old subbies.

SRT has been a boon for accessing the crown which I've always found takes the most energy.

I'm best on the ground though.

I love to move fast, run from chipper to branch, drag hard and am always on the move.

Stuart

• Like 8

On 28/09/2010 at 17:15, Jonty said:

Having spent my entire working life since leaving school in the misguided belief that money = happiness I'm seriously considering a complete change of career.

I never believe that much, but the more I earn the more I know its pure BS. The more I earn the happier I am. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I was 50 a few days ago. 

In 25 years only gained 3 kilos and wear the same trouser size as then.

I feel great, fit, strong but seem not to recover so fast as a 30 year old me.

I think even at 60 I should still be able to climb many simpler trees. For those I deem too much for my body there are 30 year old subbies.

SRT has been a boon for accessing the crown which I've always found takes the most energy.

I'm best on the ground though.

I love to move fast, run from chipper to branch, drag hard and am always on the move.

Stuart

Im 40, had a 35" waist since I was 16, still do. 6' 1" and 14 stone 7 now and not far off it when I was 20. Hopefully like you I'll maintain that when Im 50. 

I dont move fast though, thats what the scroats are paid for. ;)