Am I just too old??

Jonty

Hello all!

Having spent my entire working life since leaving school in the misguided belief that money = happiness I'm seriously considering a complete change of career.

Trees (orchards in particular) have always been important to me and since planting my own orchard a few years ago my interest has only increased.

So, one of the careers I'm considering is becoming and arborist hence the question above. I read in a few locations that it's "a young mans game" and although i can fully understand that climbing, working at height and generally handling timber is not easy is it really beyond the capabilities of the average (slim) 39 year old?

Assuming the answer to the above is "no" :thumbup1: Passing the relevent courses and getting my own PPE would not be an issue. I'd then be looking to gain experience (probably on a volunteer basis) to make sure the lifestyle change is what I hope it is so I can fully commit....

I'd value the collective wisdom of the forum:001_smile:

Thanks for reading:thumbup1:

I wouldn't worry to much about your age. If you like hard work and you have loads of energy then you'll be fine. There will always be someone that'll say you are to old but really they are just saying that they wouldn't or couldn't hack it at your age - everyone's different. I've worked with plenty of 25 year olds on the past who couldn't keep up for the life of them, doesn't mean they all can't....

Try and get a few days with someone, you'll soon see...

Best of luck and welcome to the best place you could have come - this forum:thumbup:

• Like 1

Hello to all the derbyshire crew on Arbtalk.co.uk...Hi Jonty, i am also from Derbyshire?Where abouts you based?I may know some people who would give you a week or two work, as a taster if you like?

You are not too old, providing you are fit and look after yourself a little...tree work is all about working hard but it is also very rewarding, different job every day and that tired feeling after work makes you feel like you have actually earned your money. If you find the right company who are keen to push you towards quality work of a high standard and push you to develop (CPD) then you will find that you made the right decision to change career.

Callum

• Like 1

Hi

I did my CS30/31 and then CS38/39 as a 52 year old no problem. Mainly for interest and for non-professional work reasons. People rock climb and mountaineer into their late 60's and beyond - if they keep their health, so try to do that and you should be fine... but remember you don't heal as quick as the young 'uns, so avoid those pendulums!

Best wishes