Whats work like in Scotland?

Timber Tom

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have work where you are -keep it!

Good luck, It's Damn difficult!

Give me NZ any day over the work scenario here!

Hey treeson,How are you finding work in edinburgh?Are you just a subby?Seems like lots of companys there?Obviously ill be here for nz summer :thumbup1:

I really enjoy my work here (near Edinburgh). I haven't worked south of the border since taking up tree work, but I am glad that it isn't quite so hot here. I really struggle with forestry in the heat.

From viewing previous threads on the topic of wages, it seems to be a little better paid up here too.

Oh and....that Susan Boyle.....ooo err!! :laugh1:

I really enjoy my work here (near Edinburgh). I haven't worked south of the border since taking up tree work, but I am glad that it isn't quite so hot here. I really struggle with forestry in the heat.

From viewing previous threads on the topic of wages, it seems to be a little better paid up here too.

Oh and....that Susan Boyle.....ooo err!! :laugh1:

would say its better paid.

If you get in with couple of companys and are good climber / worker then its ok.

if you are beginner you don't have a chance as everyione recently wants to become a treee surgeon

I've been working here for about 10 years, in my experience there is little demand for contract climbers, most firms seem to have full time climbers and bring in groundies when they need them. I think there is work up here but the better run firms are getting it and the less well run outfits are struggling a bit. Sounds daft but I reckon you'd get more work and make more money if you started your own business and did what ever contract work you could find on top of your own jobs.

Don't get me wrong starting up right now would be very hard and you'd need to be a very good business man to make it work but trying to make a wage as just a contract climber in scotland would be virtually impossible IMO.

PM Jojam, he's up north, he might have something.:001_smile:

I know a guy who is a full time contract climber, he is minimum £180 a day and flat out. He is a VERY good all round cutter/climber and travels all over. There is loads of work, plenty of money to be made BUT you need to prove yourself day in day out, not just once or twice when it suits.:001_smile:

A guy like him could do it wherever he decided to stay, it is up to the individual

• 3 weeks later...

The north west is covered in midgiesG. Wet but beautiful. It's the only way to keep the numbers down!

Glasgow & central belt probably is a bit saturated. Aberdeen has a bit more work but there are a lot of small companies fighting for work. This may make it better for the self-employed arborist or subbie. If anyone's interested in work in Aberdeen, please post back.