RBTree's awsome pics

Mr Ed

Yeah i know. but what i was trying point out is that there is beginner tree surgeons that use arbtalk and its not very good saying its ok to do this after you have been climbing for 20 years +

I don't doubt your skills are experience as i am sure you will do more big removals that i could ever dream of...but bad habits do kill and its only a matter of time before an accident happens if you take short cuts often.

Great pics though :thumbup1:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, martyn, I said no comments...That is one issue that I am not able to set a proper example.......never have, and never will. I can train people otherwise, however....and, in all other aspects:001_smile: of my work, there is much to be learned, no doubt. Sorry about the lack of humility, but, after 35 years in the industry, I've paid my dues, but will always give back as much as I can.

Keep in mind, that Dave and I have 64 years of experience between us,,,,and the rest of the crew on that job, about 35......

You name it, I've done it.....including some things that many of you young'uns will never do....

IMO there are 2 times and 2 times only where 1 handing is ABSOLOUTELY NOT ON, and they are 1:whilst on a training course, and 2:on your assesment. The rest of the time is down to the climber. End of story.:001_smile:

The regulations are in place for a reason. whats happening to arbtalk? this supposed to be a professional arborist forum which seperates the cowboys from the pros no!?

Well to be safe using a top handle chainsaw is using it with 2 hands as much as you can ( there are times where it is actually safer to use one hand but not very often )

i know many people that have injuries from using the chainsaw with one hand, they now had scars on face, tears up the arm and they were lucky..now they use 2 hands!

anyone reading this who is learning please use 2 hands on top handle saw when you can.

Edited by John Shutler
watch your language please

I know that a load of pro's ( the thirty something mob!) that think they are invincible and will cut one handed with their arm above the bar, then one day it kicks back.... I'm guilty of this and had to make a real effort to to retain myself and not do this..

So the moral is use it one handed but please just think what you are doing, eg where the kick back is going to go!!!!

i think its all a matter of opinion, the 2 other climbers at the company i work for 1 hand and cut and hold, 1 has been climbing for 2 and a half years the other has been climbing for 7.

now i myself have come into it green as green can be, ive learnt the college way, and the work way, and im having to develope my own style inbetween, i dont climb like the other guys because i feel its unsafe, i try to use 2 hands whenever possible, and if i do 1 hand it i always make sure to check the followthrough of the saw and avoid anything which the nose of the bar could kickback off, i very very rarely cut and hold, and usually that is only light stubs when there is a target underneath.

i think if we are talking about someone with 30 years experience, they are coming from a time when H&S was almost non existant, my boss climbs like these guys, and hes a badass climber, to my college eyes it looks scary as hell, but he knows what hes doing and he does it well, i think its the climbers decision at the end of the day, but i would always say keep 1 handing to a minimum, and try to never cut and hold.

Guys there are some very valid points being made here on both sides.

& I for one lean heavily toward Martyn and his view.

But lets not forget that Roger is from a very different working environment and as such, coupled with his request, I suggest we offer him the respect that he is due, and go take this debate to another thread.

Anyone fancy starting or adding to a previous one?

Cheers

D :001_smile: